Fly Sparge DIY Pics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rono73

Reaction score
I've done my second All Grain now, and I want to try rigging up a better sparge system. Currently, I've been getting my sparge H2O up to temp, and then using my auto-siphon to rinse the grains. It's nice low-pressure, but it's too manual for such a long sparge.

I'm thinking about rigging up a few shower heads using the same system. I haven't seen any DIY plans from anyone on the forum, but I figure someone has done something like this. I also want to try to get my system to spin slowly for better coverage, but I don't know where to start with motors.

Any ideas are welcome, but the simpler the better. Cheers!

Auto siphons are not rated for sparge temps. You also don't need to spray the water in. Just let it dribble in and keep an inch or so of water on top of the grain bed. If you don't have a bulkhead drain in your hot liquor tank, the best thing you can do is batch sparge.

Here is my setup I like it because I can sparge with the lid closed saving my heat.

DSCF0422-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks Guys. I know the Auto-siphon isn't the best idea, but it works well for what I've got. I'm not looking to spray the grains, but since the auto-siphon has such low pressure it works well to trickle the water in.

I'm using a 60 qt Polarware kettle with a false bottom and drain, so it's well suited for fly sparging.

Brew-boy, did you drill holes in the PVC, or did you find it perforated? What diameter is is, and do you have any issues with channeling in the grain bed?

I built this manifold which I use for the sparge, rims recirc and whirlpool chilling. It's gravity fed from the HLT during the sparge and otherwise with a pump:

3231581575_3bd5192c1e.jpg

This pic shows it used in the recirc mode:

3489426438_a81e2cfdbb.jpg

You could run the vertical pipe through a lid instead of using the coss member if desired. It's fully adjustable vertically for different batch sizes. Very cheap and easy to make with cpvc. I have since automated the burner with a temp controller and gas solenoid valve and in the process, relocated the temp probe to the kettle outlet.

I've done my second All Grain now, and I want to try rigging up a better sparge system. Currently, I've been getting my sparge H2O up to temp, and then using my auto-siphon to rinse the grains. It's nice low-pressure, but it's too manual for such a long sparge.

I'm thinking about rigging up a few shower heads using the same system. I haven't seen any DIY plans from anyone on the forum, but I figure someone has done something like this. I also want to try to get my system to spin slowly for better coverage, but I don't know where to start with motors.

Any ideas are welcome, but the simpler the better. Cheers!

I had thought about shower heads as well but it turns out that rainbird lawn sprinkler heads work very well:

- They don't get clogged as long as you do a proper vorlauf.
- They have a versatile number of pressure compensating screens so you can apply just what you need.
- They are cheap.
- They do a great job sprinkling the wort.

I did fly sparging a few times with several different types of arms . I got the same efficiency high 70's to low 80's with just a tube running into a SS salad bowl simple easy design and it worked fine . Only works if you have a valve on the HLT

gettohightech1.jpg

I have gone over to batch sparging .

Latest posts

Back