Debittered black malt alternative?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having a little trouble trying to find some debittered black malt. I only need 9oz and the only place i could find online wants to charge more than the malt itself for shipping. Is there anything that I could use that is close to this, or would it be worth it to pay almost 10 bucks for the real thing?

thanks

Pay for the real thing. DeWolf-Cosyns Debittered Black is a unique product. In a pinch, you could substitute the closest Weyermann Carafa in terms of color; Carafa is a dehusked black malt that is different enough from Debittered Black to be noticeable in styles like Schwarzbier.

Cheers!

Bob

Both Castle and Dingemans say that they use a special process to produce a less astringent flavor with de-bittered black malt, but they don't mention what the process is or if the grain is de-husked like Weyermann Special. Weyermann says that roasting scorches the husk and that removing most of the husk prevents the burnt astringent flavor.

One advantage to the Weyermann is that they have three roast levels compared to one with de-bittered black. Other than that, it appears that the products should produce similar end results.

I've used Carafa Special, but not de-bittered black. Is there anyone who has experience with both? Any preference? Why?

Get a bottle of Sinamar.....
Damn! Now there's three choices. :cross:

I found this on the Weyermann website, but they mainly talk about it as a coloring agent. A way to darken beer without violating the German Purity Law. How does the flavor of Sinamar compare to the other two? Or is there no flavor contribution?

I am using some de-bittered black right now. I'd be able to tell you more in 3 weeks or so.
Have you used any of the Weyermann products?

Damn! Now there's three choices. :cross:

I found this on the Weyermann website, but they mainly talk about it as a coloring agent. A way to darken beer without violating the German Purity Law. How does the flavor of Sinamar compare to the other two? Or is there no flavor contribution?

No flavor contribution that I've ever noticed. I find it far easier to use that dark malt when all you need is color. I just add it to the kettle, look at the color, add more if needed. Way easier than trying to figure out how much dark malt to use in a mash.

Back