Siphon Holder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if this has ever been done before, but I am growing weary of having to hold my auto siphon lest it fall to the bottom of the bucket and suck up trub or worse, get clogged and not siphon at all. So I came up with this simple device that rests on top of the bucket or carboy, holds the auto siphon straight up and down, and allows you to adjust the height due to the inevitable difference in trub thickness. Here is a picture of it. Let me know what y'all think about it.

siphonholder.jpg

The silver things are set screws to hold the auto siphon in place.

Just be careful tightening those set screws! Look for the ones with the little rubber knubs on the end.

Or just get an o-ring that fits snug over the siphon and you can adjust height by sliding it up and down.

nmss-m5-15.jpg

SWMBO helps out enough as it is. She stirs extract while I pour, holds the grain bag open so I can pour the grains in, and caps bottles while I fill them. Besides, we like to chill and have a couple pints while the beer is racking, so it would be nice to have a hands free method.

You guys must either be brewing 10+ gallons or you guys can drink like a sink drain... I've always considered racking with my auto-siphon to be pretty quick.

It depends. If I happen to be drinking a really good IPA that day, I can put away 2-3 pints and smoke a cigarette while it's racking. Otherwise it's one pint and maybe start a second before it's done racking. However, in general, you've got pretty good odds that I'll be drinking IPA during any given drinking session, so the norm is 2 pints.

Hmmm, nifty. I tried tape the first time and it didn't go so well. I guess my little build is a moot point, then since I happen to have clothes pins and rubber bands laying around.

Two different ways to hold an autosiphon up off the trub:

First for a carboy/better bottle:

Add a rubberband and it works for a better bottle or bucket:

It's good to have these kinds of solutions. Sometimes simple ideas get way overbuilt. I'll be using this for now on.

P4040026.JPG

This work??? :D

Great when mounted on a door for holding papers, books, and small children :)

Great idea on your clothespin + rubber band! Mentally noted for future use.

P4040026.JPG

This work??? :D

Great when mounted on a door for holding papers, books, and small children :)

Great idea on your clothespin + rubber band! Mentally noted for future use.

That is the size they use at Samuel Adams when they siphon the Utopias into their better bottles. ;) (Big beers need big clothes pins.)

How about to hold it on a keggle?

I finally got frustrated enough siphoning that I got over my fear of plastic and bought an auto-siphon.

Be great to have a way to gold it on the keggle.

Get a small C clamp, clamp it to the upper lip of the keg where the top was cut off. That will create a vertical clamping surface. Then use a spring clip to hold the autosiphon to that.

Get a small C clamp, clamp it to the upper lip of the keg where the top was cut off. That will create a vertical clamping surface. Then use a spring clip to hold the autosiphon to that.

Thanks! Knew there was a simple solution. Just would have took me a while to find it.

:mug:

Here's mine.

A few inches of tubing and a zip tie.

Stays in place very well. To move it up/down I just get a little sanitizer on it.

B

autosyphonholder.jpg

I was brewing and racking recently and decided to build an autosiphon holder based on Bobby M simple ideas. I thought some left over 1/2 diameter rubber hose and crazy glue would be a simple way of fastening the autosiphon to the clip/clamp;

autosiphon_clips_01.jpg

autosiphon_clips_2.jpg

Happy Holidays
BeerCanuck

Back