Campden sat for 4 days, not smart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip194

Reaction score
I did 50gallons of home pressed hard cider again this year. Considering the work, we only did 1/2 one day. I added the campden, following day yeast. Everythings fine.

The next day I did another 25 gallons, added the campden but waited 4 days. Then added the yeast. 2 days later, no activity in 5 carboys.

My first question is is waiting to add yeast several days after the campden hurtful?

Secondly, while the yeast was room temperature the cider had been left on the porch at about 50F when the yeast was added, at that point I brought them inside to room temperature and they sat for 2 days. So I wasnt sure if that was low enough to shock it

I guess what is really to do other then add another round of yeast and hope? Because the original campden has done its job right? I dont need to readd that?

Thanks for any thoughts

Nottingham. Good to "56F". You're right on the waiting game. I hate to wait my last 30 batches have never seen this problem, and now the same 5 have the same problem.

Latest posts

Back