Taste test at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike004

Reaction score
Just bottled a Czech pilsener, after 4 weeks in 2ndary. It tasted good!

Question: If a beer tastes good at bottling time, will it still be good (or better) following carbonation in the bottle? In other words, is there still an opportunity for me to mess up this particular brew?

Thanks,
Mike

Once the ale is in the bottle it tends to improve. Keep it cool & out of the light.

Good news, sounds like the brew will mellow and improve with time.

I put the bottles in a cardboard box and then taped it up.
Is it OK to store the bottles at room temp? I know cool storage is preferred for lagers but I don't really have the facilities. I tend to store all my bottles in a hall way at about room temp..

Bruce

It's okay to keep them at room temperature, it's even preferred for the first week or so, to let the yeast carbonate the brew. It wont hurt them after that either.
Also, you still need to be mindful of sanitation at bottling time, but it's not as critical because of the alcohol being able to kill baddies.

You think it's good now, wait until you taste it in 3-4 weeks!

homebrewer_99 said:
Taped up the box? Are they held hostage?

I think you're overdoing it a bit, but hey, if it works for you who am I to criticize?:D

In case a bottle decides to explode. Also, as a deterrent to stop me opening the box too soon.

Mike

Back