Awesome SS Kettle Deal w/ ball valve and thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forstmeister

Reaction score
Adventures in Homebrewing has 9 gallon SS brew kettle with ss ball valve and 2.5" dial thermometer on clearance right now for $89.99 with free shipping. Apparently the manufacturer made a mistake on the placement of one of the welds so the thermo is smaller than they wanted...either way it's a hell of a deal!

When they say Stainless with brass nipple and barb... aren't those two the same thing?

Jublin said:
When they say Stainless with brass nipple and barb... aren't those two the same thing?

The barb is the piece on the outflow side that you can put a hose on. The nipple is the piece that runs through the sidewall of the kettle. It's usually a female to female piece. You would thread a kettle screen to the inside.

Yea I just ordered one now, I've been on the lookout for a good deal to do full boils (5 gallon recipes) and the 7 gallon kettle I currently have just wasn't cutting it for those 90 min boil beers and/or the 6 gallon IPA recipes. Hopefully its worth it!

Yea I just ordered one now, I've been on the lookout for a good deal to do full boils (5 gallon recipes) and the 7 gallon kettle I currently have just wasn't cutting it for those 90 min boil beers and/or the 6 gallon IPA recipes. Hopefully its worth it!

Did you get yours yet? Mine arrived today with a rather sizable scratch/dent on the outside near a handle. It is noticeable on the inside too, you can feel a bump. I emailed them to inquire about it and sent a photo. I am just concerned about the integrity of the sidewall now.

be weary of the brass nipple. not quite sure why they added those instead of SS nipples, but brass, when in contact with highly acidic solutions, can start to leach bad things into ur brew.

This is normally an issue u have to be aware of when making manifolds or connections in coolers with MLT. Ive never heard of it with kettles but then again ive never heard of anyone using brass in a boil kettle at all up to this point. Just SS, aluminum or copper.

The minuscule amount of brass material in this kettle is not worrying me after doing some quick research. I was concerned about the dent, and they agreed to send a new one right away as well as a return label for the old one. Problem solved in my eyes, and it was done quickly.

Mine so far as I can tell is still in the "pre-orders" stage. I hope I can get it by next week (dent free) so I can do another batch. My oxide layer on the aluminum kettle I have is kinda gone, and I'd rather not waste the propane anymore to keep it up.

Got mine this weekend, aside from a few small dents the pot looks great. The only issue that may not be an issue is the thermometer they give you, it doesn't stick into the pot very far, in fact it barely gets past the pot wall because the probe is not really a probe, its just this short thick end of the thermometer. I'll take a pic when I get home.

Either way I think it was an amazing deal, everything looks solid and the welds look great.

I got my replacement today. It's actually not one of the "mistake" pots this time. The welds are in the right place on this one and it looks great. I can't wait to try it out this weekend!

Here's mine assembled. Gonna try it out this weekend.

image-600588370.jpg

Back