Poodle Saves the Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
Damn dog woke me up barking at 3:15 this morning. :mad: Went stumbling out to his kennel, and all I hear is this weird hissing sound...thought at first he was having convulsions but then I realized the sound wasn't coming from the kennel. Finally woke up enough to realize it was the airlock on yesterday's brew, hissing because it was clogged with foam. :eek:

Luckily I still had a tub of iodophor sitting around, so I managed to get the blowup tube sanitized and in a bucket of iodophor before the mess got beyond the airlock...good doggie. :) When I got back up at 7:30 the sanitizer bucket was almost overflowing and still churning away...I think this is some yeast I want to harvest. :cool:

I need a dog. My landlord won't let me have one though. We have a stray cat that hangs out at our house. She's clean, nice as hell, and doesn't try to come inside. The only participation she has in our homebrewing is when we toss out the spent malts and hops. She loves to eat the barley. Go figure.

ORRELSE said:
What yeast was it?
It was WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast. The starter was 48 hours old and seemed to be fully fermented out...there was an impressive amount of yeast in the bottom of the jug. Still, it was a 1.080 wort, so I thought it would take awhile...I was planning on re-oxygenating at 14 hours...didn't appear to need it. :D

ARF ARF ARF.......
Whats that Lassie?

ARF ARF.....
Timmie fell and broke his leg? Where?

ARF ARF ARF ARF.......
Over at old man El Pistoleros barn?

ARF....
What was he doing there?

ARF ARF ARF!
MY beer is foaming? Hell, Timmy can wait. Good dog.

Beermaker said:
Over at old man El Pistoleros barn?

You make El P sound like a Scooby Doo villain - " I'd have gotten away with this Winter Weizen if it hadn't been for you meddling kids!"

I doubt if my greyhounds would be equally provident. Katiebell likes red wine and Cougar is a putze. I am considering making some zinfadel, so maybe they can earn their keep.

El Pistolero said:
It was WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast. The starter was 48 hours old and seemed to be fully fermented out...there was an impressive amount of yeast in the bottom of the jug. Still, it was a 1.080 wort, so I thought it would take awhile...I was planning on re-oxygenating at 14 hours...didn't appear to need it. :D

Me too, I pitched a 2L starter of Wyeast Irish ale yeast on Friday at 3:00 pm. Got back from The Fort Worth Cristmas parade at 10:00 pm and it was already in the blow-off tube. It was still pushing into the blow-off tube on Saturday evening. This morning, I replaced it with an airlock.
My SG was only 1.056. This is a really active strain.

I 'washed' and saved WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast recently and re-used it a couple of weeks ago in a stout I brewed. I left the primary in my garage, which was around 55oF at the time. I covered it from the light with one of those large brown paper lawn waste bags I got from my grocery store for holding raked leaves. Thank St. Arnold that I did!

As I laid in bed after brew night, almost asleep, my cat and I heard a 'pop' in the garage. We both looked at each other, then I went out to inspect. The airock had literally been shot out of the glass primary and the foam was oozing out from beneath the yard waste bag, which, fortunately, had contained everything! I quickly rigged up a sanitized bucket and tube. It was about 36 hourse before I could replace the airlock again!

Caplan said:
You make El P sound like a Scooby Doo villain - " I'd have gotten away with this Winter Weizen if it hadn't been for you meddling kids!"

This thread is hillarious. Your (El Pistolero) avatar makes the above that much funnier. Seriously, look at his avatar and repeat those words.

My dog doesn't save beer. He knocks them over and drinks them. Little lush.

The happy mug said:
Seriously, look at his avatar and repeat those words.

My dog doesn't save beer. He knocks them over and drinks them. Little lush.
What's supposed to happen when you do that? :confused: Should I have an orgasm, or what? :confused:

I pride myself at being good causing orgasms, but this is the first time
I have done it without being there! Wait - you're not female!

But seriously, it just makes me laugh. Think of a scooby-doo villian with your avatar, and that line, and it's funny to me.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." - Jules de Gautier

Wait - or do you mean you orgasm when my dog knocks over my beer? You take pleasure in my loss, my friend!

Send me money in the mail, and I will make him knock over many, many beers per day. You won't be dissapointed, if this is the case.

rewster451 said:
I need a dog. My landlord won't let me have one though. We have a stray cat that hangs out at our house. She's clean, nice as hell, and doesn't try to come inside. The only participation she has in our homebrewing is when we toss out the spent malts and hops. She loves to eat the barley. Go figure.

There are known FATAL reactions involving dogs that have eaten hops. I don't know about their effect on cats, but why take chances. It appears to be a nasty way to kill your pet. The symptoms include hyperthermia (uncontrollably escalating body temperature) and massive salivation. Greyhounds as a breed seem particularly susceptible. Always dispose of your spent hops where they can't be inadvertantly consumed by an animal.
That being said, I can't seem to have a beer myself without my dog underfoot and drooling all over both of us until he gets a little taste!

Back