American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine ended up near 8%. Dangerously drinkable indeed. One too many and you're incoherent... Dare I say, the walking dead?

This good stuff. I'll be rebrewing again soon.

I just undershot the OG but my FG really over attenuated and I ended up at 1.010 hence the 7.1% but I like my IPA's drier as I think it brings out the hops and I love the Citra punch in this beer so I'm cool with it, its feakin good.

Wow 8% was that on purpose lol. What yeast did you use? I've thought about bumping this up into DIPA territory the grain bill is perfect for it. I've also thought as others have posted about using other fruity hops for this like Galaxy, FF 7C's, Amarillo or even Mosaic, the grain bill is perfect for the fruity hops I think, then keep the original 1.018 FG and there may be something there for a nice, fruity and potent Zombie DIPA. I'm surprised 3 Floyds doesnt have one out.

Wow 8% was that on purpose lol. I've thought about bumping this up into DIPA territory the grain bill is perfect for it. I've also thought as others have posted about using other fruity hops for this like Galaxy, FF 7C's, Amarillo or even Mosaic, the grain bill is perfect for the fruity hops I think, then bump up the mash temp to get a say 1.015 FG and there may be something there for a nice, fruity and potent Zombie DIPA. I'm surprised 3 Floyds doesnt have one out.

I have a recipe in brewtarget that i've been playing with going the other way, toward a session IPA, lowered gravity, lowered hops. I haven't brewed it yet, but it's labeled "Zombie Powder". I suppose a DIPA could be called "Zombie Sand", "Zombie Bits" or "Zombie Chunks"

I have a recipe in brewtarget that i've been playing with going the other way, toward a session IPA, lowered gravity, lowered hops. I haven't brewed it yet, but it's labeled "Zombie Powder". I suppose a DIPA could be called "Zombie Sand", "Zombie Bits" or "Zombie Chunks"

Another interesting take, go lower. I think a DIPA should be called Zombie Apocolypse. I mean thats the end all be all isn't it.

I just undershot the OG but my FG really over attenuated and I ended up at 1.010 hence the 7.1% but I like my IPA's drier as I think it brings out the hops and I love the Citra punch in this beer so I'm cool with it, its feakin good.

Wow 8% was that on purpose lol. What yeast did you use? I've thought about bumping this up into DIPA territory the grain bill is perfect for it. I've also thought as others have posted about using other fruity hops for this like Galaxy, FF 7C's, Amarillo or even Mosaic, the grain bill is perfect for the fruity hops I think, then keep the original 1.018 FG and there may be something there for a nice, fruity and potent Zombie DIPA. I'm surprised 3 Floyds doesnt have one out.

Correction: upon further review, it ended up at about 7.5. It was on purpose, though I was looking for a mid 7. SG started at 1.071 and FG was 1.014. My efficiency was high and my yeast was super healthy and attenuated low. I was using a 1.5L starter of 1056. :) I wanted more of the DIPA out of it than I did a clone of the real deal. It still turned out great and I get several requests from friends and family to rebrew it. If only I could just grow Citra... A pound is expensive, especially when over half a pound goes into the beer.

If I do it again, I'll reduce the grain bill a few lbs on my base malt, maybe go halvsies on Mosaic and Citra. A Deschutes Fresh Squeezed clone was a request from a family member, and I really dig this grain bill. I have leftover Citra and was gifted some Mosaic. I'll shoot for something a little more reasonable though. 8% brews are great, but when they go down like water, you are gonna have a bad time. :p

I know I saw it in here but can't find it. Hope some can help quickly. The citra hops I bought are 14.5 vs the recipe which asks for 12.4.

How do I adjust for the higher percent?

Thanks!

I know I saw it in here but can't find it. Hope some can help quickly. The citra hops I bought are 14.5 vs the recipe which asks for 12.4.

How do I adjust for the higher percent?

Thanks!

I would not worry about it. Just use the same amounts.

Cool, thanks, I didn't!

All in all it went ok for my first brew. I definitely learned a lot. I did the PM with a 6 gallon boil. My biggest issue was getting the wort to cool down. Biggest lesson learned. My OG measured 1.060. Not sure what that means as far as where my beer will end up but I was happy with it. Pitched my yeast at 73 degrees and is now resting in the 66 degree basement. Guess we will see how this all turns out.

Thanks everyone for all the Q&A and the help!

KcA5Eg8.jpg

Im going to go a little left on this one. I want to make an Octoberfest style beer.

I have some of this grain left over so I was thinking about using this grain bill with "harvest" style flavors.

My question is, what hops would complement those flavors? What yeast would work well with that style? Depending on what flavors I decide on, when would i add them? Be it apple, caramel, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin, allspice, etc. Those are just flavors that are common in the Fall.

I am looking forward to anyones input.

Thank you!

Brewed this up lastnight. Missed my numbers :( Came in at a 69% efficiency doing BIAB and my OG was only 1.051. Not 1.065. Not sure why. Probably too much water. Started with 8 Gallons. It smells great though fermenting away! My last batch of Octoberfest a week ago was also really low OG. Can anyone give me some tips in a side message? I'll give u details on my set up.

Has anyone filtered this beer before kegging, or is it best to leave unfiltered? I used a bag for dry hop in my conical, but there was still some hops leftover from the kettle in my conical. Thanks for any feedback.

Cold crash for 48 hours before kegging with gelatin added after the first 24 hours. Comes out crystal clear everytime no head retention issues or stripping of any flavors. I do this for all my beers that are hoppy and it works great, final product looks like filtered commercial beer.

Mine has been kegged for a couple of weeks and isn't clear, but I dry hopped in keg and don't filter. It taste great with lots of hop flavor and not too much bitterness. Never had the real thing so not sure how it compares, but I'll brew this again. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409102184.660180.jpg

Mine has been kegged for a couple of weeks and isn't clear, but I dry hopped in keg and don't filter. It taste great with lots of hop flavor and not too much bitterness. Never had the real thing so not sure how it compares, but I'll brew this again. View attachment 220249

I'm on pretty much the same schedule and also dry hopped in the keg. I pulled the bag yesterday though. I was getting ready to post about how cloudy mine was (looks identical to yours) and was wondering what people's thoughts were. Is it mostly just the huge amount of hops or more to do with the grain bill? Most of my other beers are very clear with a cold crash and a couple weeks in the keg.

I have gelatin and might give it a go, but I don't want to strip the wonderful aroma. I've read conflicting info on whether this is an issue.

The real thing is cloudy so it's all good fellas. Sounds and looks great! Mines on day 2 of fermenting for my very first attempt. Efficiency and gravities were low but it still smells great bubbling away

Brewed 5gal of this and split it into 2 fermenters. One with Conan (left), the other with 1968 (right).
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409197172.501426.jpg
Just moved them into secondary for the dry hop. The Conan tastes great and finished at 1.018. The 1968 may have been infected. Has a bunch of off flavors. Finished at 1.022

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just took a sample of mine after it has been in secondary dry hopping for past 7 days. It finished at 1.014. Missed OG slightly and came in at 1.06. I was now going to cold crash for a day or 2 before moving into my keg. Unfortunately I have no gelatin. Is there any downside to not using that?

I have to say though, this beer smells and tastes amazing. I wanted to pull a pint of it even though it is dead flat right now.

Well I'm drinking the real thing side by side against the clone and I can tell you this recipe is SPOT ON.. My first reaction upon drinking the real on was "hmm I've had this before", I never have but I've been drinking the clone for about a month now. Mine finished a little lower in FG so its a touch drier and boozier but the hops are so punchy in the clone probably due to the freshness. Otherwise if you closed your eyes you'd never know the difference. The real ZD is lighter in color than mine and crystal clear so if your looking for an exact replica I'd prob lighten up the crystal a little but me I'm more about the smell and taste which I've said is spot on. Feel good knowing that if you can't get this beer that what your brewing will come out as close as the real thing atleast on the nose and on the palate.

Well I'm drinking the real thing side by side against the clone and I can tell you this recipe is SPOT ON.. My first reaction upon drinking the real on was "hmm I've had this before", I never have but I've been drinking the clone for about a month now. Mine finished a little lower in FG so its a touch drier and boozier but the hops are so punchy in the clone probably due to the freshness. Otherwise if you closed your eyes you'd never know the difference. The real ZD is lighter in color than mine and crystal clear so if your looking for an exact replica I'd prob lighten up the crystal a little but me I'm more about the smell and taste which I've said is spot on. Feel good knowing that if you can't get this beer that what your brewing will come out as close as the real thing atleast on the nose and on the palate.

What did yours finish at?

This was my first brew ever. My OG was 1.060. I left it in the primary for 2 weeks and just transfered to secondary. My SG was at 1.012. Not sure if it will drop a couple more or not. Tasted pretty good. It had the citra bittnerness but not a lot of flavor. Hopefully the dryhopping will impart that delicious citra taste! Next week I will be bottling. For my first brew I think everything went ok. Cant wait to try this when its cold and bubbly!

Does the 3oz dry hop make a big difference with this? Haven't used citra before but not getting much aroma after a two week primary. Will be dry hopping today.

Thanks olotti! Good to know! I dry hop for 5 days then try to cold crash for 2 then will keg.

Brewed a beefed up version of this today. OG looks like its about 1.087. Used a half pound of Citra pellets today, going to pitch onto a fresh cake of Giga Yeast Vermont IPA & dry hop with 4 oz of Citra leaf.

Brewed a beefed up version of this today. OG looks like its about 1.087. Used a half pound of Citra pellets today, going to pitch onto a fresh cake of Giga Yeast Vermont IPA & dry hop with 4 oz of Citra leaf.

ill be interested to hear your results, but i have a hunch this might be a very malty beer.

if you hit 76% AA, that would yield a terminal gravity of 1.020.

did you modify the grain bill at such as add dextrose or reduce specialty malt percentages?

ill be interested to hear your results, but i have a hunch this might be a very malty beer.

if you hit 76% AA, that would yield a terminal gravity of 1.020.

did you modify the grain bill at such as add dextrose or reduce specialty malt percentages?

I upped the grain bill to

13.25# 2row
1# each munich, melanoidin, carapils ,c60
12 oz of clear candi sugar I had leftover.

I upped/altered the hops too of course.
1.5oz fwh, 15mins, 5mins
3.5 oz at flameout

Just messing around here. I rarely brew big beers like this, but this looked like a good one to play with.

Brewed this Monday using the recipe on the first post, and used Carapils instead of Carafoam by accident. But from what I have read they are basically identical malts.

My RIMS-in-a-toolbox kept the mash at 152 +- .2 degrees so that was a success.

OG came in at 1.064 - Color calculated by beersmith at 8.7

Also did 1 thing different from the recipe (besides the CaraX issue) - Ran through my Hop Rocket with 1 oz of Citra for the transfer from the brew vessel.

Transferred to a corny keg for fermentation and had it right at the top. Even with Fermcap in it I got nervous and transferred to the conical. I missed out on another half gallon by not using the conical to begin with but oh well it happens.

She is bubbling along at 65 degrees in my brewpi controlled fridge. Can't wait to try this out!
My only regret may be brewing a 6 gallon batch instead of 10+ gallons.

Next up: Steve's Pumpkin Ale (As soon as I can get a cheese pumpkin).

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

I'm at 1.013 after 3 days, OG was 1.087..This is gonna possibly my best beer ever out of 60 some all grain batches so far. Flavor & Aroma are through the roof.

Nice Spiegelau IPA glass there wvdad! I'll agree that this recipe tastes great, especially out of my Spiegelau glass!! :mug:

Latest posts

Back