grain mill motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bcgpete said:
Hopefully this thread isn't too dead....

Did anybody use this motor? It seems to be a great price.

Thanks

Depends what the RPM is. Most likely, you'll have to get a belt, pulleys, etc. to make it work. Your average motor is going to be 1700 or 3400 RPM unless it's got an integral gear reducer. You want more like 200-300 rpm.

The most popular option I've seen lately is the harbor freight low speed drill. Lots of torque, and can be had for $40 or so with their ubiquitous 20% off coupons. I used a piece of scrap stainless rod stock, a love joy coupler, and a couple of bearing blocks to decouple the drill and prevent putting unneeded lateral stress on the bearings in the mill.

Depends what the RPM is. Most likely, you'll have to get a belt, pulleys, etc. to make it work. Your average motor is going to be 1700 or 3400 RPM unless it's got an integral gear reducer. You want more like 200-300 rpm.

The most popular option I've seen lately is the harbor freight low speed drill. Lots of torque, and can be had for $40 or so with their ubiquitous 20% off coupons. I used a piece of scrap stainless rod stock, a love joy coupler, and a couple of bearing blocks to decouple the drill and prevent putting unneeded lateral stress on the bearings in the mill.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up finding a cheaper motor and got the pulley's ordered from mcmaster. I have the rebel grain mill, which is recommended 350-450 rpm! I can't wait to get it running!

Latest posts

Back