1 gallon Plum wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeet

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a new home brewer and I am looking for a good 1 gallon plum wine recipe??

Can anyone help me out??
Thanks in advance

Whatever recipe you use my experience with plum wine is it can taste astrigent and somewhat unappealing at first. LET IT AGE! I almost dumped out a batch it was so bad. After a couple years it is now drinkable. I also cheated and added a tablespoon of peach Schnapps to each bottle. I also used the jack keller recipe.

I started this wine last night
sg was 1.070
primary is around 70 degrees

I pitched the yeast the next morning but when I got home from work NOTHING.
so I pitched again about 9 tonight....I still dont see anything.

How long should I wait before trying something else?
Thanks

oh yeah I used #1 from Jack Keller also.

I started this wine last night
sg was 1.070
primary is around 70 degrees

I pitched the yeast the next morning but when I got home from work NOTHING.
so I pitched again about 9 tonight....I still dont see anything.

How long should I wait before trying something else?
Thanks

oh yeah I used #1 from Jack Keller also.

You can wait a few days. With wine, you might see clumps of yeast gathering at the top but not any krausen.

Well it started to ferment
started 12-1-2011 sg 1.070

strained and racked to secondary 12-4-2011 sg 1.010

has a TON of sediment in the bottom, about an inch in 24 hours.......gonna take a long time to clear!

strained and racked to secondary 12-4-2011 sg 1.010

has a TON of sediment in the bottom, about an inch in 24 hours.......gonna take a long time to clear!
My experience too. Straining quickly clogs a tight mesh. Squeezing the bag gets more juice but fine pulp comes along with it. This settles in the secondary to form loose fluffy sediment. With time, it settles some, but I lost more wine than I'd like at the second racking.

Thats about what I figured.

I made 1 1/2 gallons hoping to end up with one gallon.

looks like hawaiian punch.

Feffer, how did your plum wine turn out? Do you have and suggestions from this phase on? Thanks

Nothing special. Good advice from yeastluvr -- be patient as it may not taste good initially. Your initial SG was 1.090 or less I'm guessing. That's good. IMO final ABV 13% or less is a good idea. Yours should ferment dry. Plum wine often has a haze that is very slow to clear. I bottled one batch before the haze was gone. Got a little sediment in the bottles, but no ill effects. You may want to stabilize and back-sweeten when it's clear. This brings out the plum flavor and reduces the astringency. I'm doing both dry and semi-sweet this year. I expect the dry batch will have to age a very long time to mellow out as the ABV is 14.5%.

well i went ahead and racked it tonight...only 5 days in

But there was a about and inch or so of sediment on the bottom and about half had started to "clear" .

Got 1 gallon and 1 750ml wine bottle.
wish I had some 375ml bottles............and more airlocks!

also I got one wine bottle with LOTS of sediment....so with no airlocks I sorbated it and corked it...........and then I ran outside and put it in a cooler!
Dont know how this is going to work out but I really wanted enough to top off on my next racking.

Sorry, didn't see this earlier. Yes, back-sweeten. Will do some taste tests and add 70% of the best one plus K-sorbate. Then let it sit for a few weeks and taste again. One can always add more sugar but can't pull it out again.

I just juiced around 20 lbs of plums. I'm not sure how much actual juice we have yet. But it might be more than 1 gallon. This will be my very first attempt at a wine, I'm excited to try it.

Is it ok, if I use 100% plum juice not any water to top off the 1gal mark? Or is it important/necessary to use some extra water?

Yes, it's fine to use just the plum juice. If you're a little short some water is no problem. Several experienced people use the pure juice. You will need to check your SG to see how much sugar to add -- you'll probably need some. Also, it's probably better to just ferment the juice alone w/o the pulp and skins which can add a lot of acid.

On the other hand, many recipes including Jack Keller's ones use water. I've done these in the past. This year, I'll do some of each. Good luck with your wine!

Back