Blow-off tube ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does that explain it at all?

Yes, I see what you mean now. Thx. I was on your page, just didn't realize it!

In the end, I'm just going to be sure there's a tall arc in the blowoff tube between beer and bucket so it's not so easy for my brew to jump ship in the middle of fermentation.

Oh, and keep a closer eye on my temps #@40watt.

Dose this look like a good setup for a blow off tube?

image-4060946672.jpg

You should elevate your carboy above the pot or you could get some of that water sucked back into your beer.

You should elevate your carboy above the pot or you could get some of that water sucked back into your beer.

I doubt it. Especially because it looks like your blowoff tube isn't submerged in the catch water, but rather is stuck into the end of a funnel that is submerged in that water (which I like, btw).

As per my situation outlined above, for good measure I would hang the center of the hose from above (bent coat hanger hook or something) so the rising head will fall back into your carboy and keep your hose clean(er).

My two cents (worth exactly that).

KPatton said:
Instead of a bucket, I made a couple of Burton Unions of sorts, without the recirculation, which you could do it you wanted to.

+1. I use ball jars with plastic lids they make for using them for short term storage. When I'm done with the blow-off period, I just swap the lid for the canning lid and store. So much easier than yeast washing.

image-35184014.jpg

image-2520362332.jpg

The blow off vessel should definitely be lower than the fermenter (or at least the beer line) to assure that you don't get any suck back. Forget about siphoning risk. That is very unlikely. However, suck back does happen due to pressure/temperature differentials, especially during the lag phase before the co2 starts really pumping. Having the blow off vessel lower than the beer line means gravity is on your side. Also the larger is always better. 1 1/4 outside diameter from the hardware store has always worked for my glass carboys. 1/2 inside diameter works well with post from a 3-piece airlock.

I doubt it.

OK, man. Do it how you want. There have been multiple people in this thread alone that said the blowoff bucket SHOULD BE LOWER. If you elevate the blowoff bucket, you are asking for trouble. And this is MY two cents, which is worth exactly one cent.....;)

i use 7gal fermenter bucket or 6.5gal glass carboy. i always use air lock and never really had a problem except one time with a pumpkin spice brew a little got into airlock. didnt end up using a blow off but if its already happened once mine as well go with blow off tube from now on to avoid future clean ups and free up more time for brewing and drinking!

I hear you @bennyd and will follow your advice echoed by other folks, all of whom are surely more experienced than I. Just a little gun shy from my RIS loss, but I cannot argue. Thanks for the help!

Back