Glass Door Refrigerator Used as Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joety

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Glass Door Merchandising Coolers work great for fermentation cabinets as well as their intended purpose.

Here's mine with two 6.5 gallon carboys and room for 3 more. There is also two half-barrel kegs and two 1/4 barrel kegs in it. Free just for picking it up, (wouldn't cool and the door was fogged). I cleaned it up, recharged the Freon, put a sheet of stainless on the bottom to slide kegs in and out, painted the door black and put in a better temperature controller. It's been working great ever since.

I also got a few small ones for free. Just had to clean up the black one, replace a fan in the little gray one and clean out the condenser coil in the Pepsi cooler. (Previous owner had some very furry cats.;))

Ferm Cab 01.jpg

Ferm Cab 02.jpg

More GDMC.jpg

Thanks, what type of things should I be looking for in a used unit, other than size, age and general appearance/condition?

Edit: Since this (these?) will eventually house a nice shiney SS conical and be a focal point for my brewpub, I want them to look nice as well.

Thanks, what type of things should I be looking for in a used unit, other than size, age and general appearance/condition?

Edit: Since this (these?) will eventually house a nice shiney SS conical and be a focal point for my brewpub, I want them to look nice as well.
If you want a clear, glass door, don't expect to replace it, they are in the range of $800. Beyond that, the same things as a used fridge. Is it very noisy? Is the door seal good? Does it cool? How much will I have to spend to bring it up to my expectations? (A compressor can be replaced for about $200-$250.) These things are built to run forever. The big Coke cooler of mine is very old and spent the last several years on a porch, in the sun. A used one of that size, in good condition, around here usually brings $500-$750.

Hey guy's, I live up here in Fairbanks AK. I have been looking at Craiglist, Alaska's list, in search of one of these. I have a green light from the Mrs to purchase one when I find it. Just wondering if anyone has any leads where you would find one. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Hey guy's, I live up here in Fairbanks AK. I have been looking at Craiglist, Alaska's list, in search of one of these. I have a green light from the Mrs to purchase one when I find it. Just wondering if anyone has any leads where you would find one. Am I looking in the wrong place?
I acquired the ones I have through friends but have seen many of them listed on Craigslist. Beyond that, try cultivating friendships with convenience and liquor store owners. :tank:

Yeah, I've been tracking them on Craigslist as well. I search for "coolers" under the Business section. You see about one a week in the MKE area, but we're a little bigger than Fairbanks.

Well, I found a BRAND NEW in the box True GDM-12 for sale locally for $800. A bit more than I was planning on spending, but a bargain on a fridge that goes for $1300. Unfortunately the interior dimensions are 21 ½” W x 18 13/32” D x 48 15/16” H (44 7/16” to evaporator).

Morebeer's 14 gallon conical is listed as 19 inches in diameter and Blichman's is 18 1/2". Blichman also recommends an inch of clearance, although I'm not sure why you need it, quite frankly. 3/32nd's is not much, I'm wondering if the back panel would flex enough to fit it in.

Back