length of beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithfm1

Reaction score
I've seen reference to the importance of the length/diameter of the beer line a few times in here. I was just curious why this impacts the dispensing so greatly and what a sufficient length might be? I'm not sure of my exact diameter offhand, but it's a fairly narrow tube coming off my corny keg to the fridge dispenser.

Thanks

Here's a guide to get you started: http://***********/stories/techniqu...-balancing-your-draft-system-advanced-brewing

You'll need to measure the inside diameter of the line you are using.

The length of line all depends on what temp your beer is at, what you have your regulator set at etc. For most of my ales, I use 6' of line, at 10-12 psi. As long as I "purge" the tap first, I get a perfect pour everytime.

I was just curious why this impacts the dispensing so greatly and what a sufficient length might be?

pressure vs. resistance and the liquid has CO2 that wants to come out of solution. if pressure isn't balanced with resistance, CO2 rockets out of solution and you get an ounce of flat beer and 15 ounces of head per pint :)

Back