Using ice for lagering fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher

Reaction score
I want to brew a lager and we just got a new fridge so the old one is sitting in the basement. The problem is at the warmest setting brings the fridge only up to 42-44 degrees and I understand thats too cold for most lagers. I cant afford a thermostat for a while and was wondering what to expect if I froze multiple jugs of water and used these to keep the fridge cold? Has anyone used this and how steady did your temperature stay?

I would check the thermostat on the fridge, some have a master set screw behind the controls you may have some luck with that.

You are going to need a ton of frozen jugs to maintain the lagering temp for a while. The temp the fridge can go to is adequate for fermentation, but come lagering (around 30), you will need to add ice to that constantly. Do what steele suggests.

You may be ok with 44 degrees initially as the yeast generates heat during their feeding frenzy. I have heard it can range from 4-10 degrees. Many lager yeasts are suggested between 50-55 degrees, so your refridgerator might be fine at the 44 - 45 degree range.

Now please understand that I am by no means an expert, so take my statements only as suggestions. Others here are much more qualified to provide solid advice.

Salute! :mug:

I want to brew a lager and we just got a new fridge so the old one is sitting in the basement. The problem is at the warmest setting brings the fridge only up to 42-44 degrees and I understand thats too cold for most lagers. I cant afford a thermostat for a while and was wondering what to expect if I froze multiple jugs of water and used these to keep the fridge cold? Has anyone used this and how steady did your temperature stay?

Can't afford a thermostat?
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?m..._id=14&zenid=91133c5241fe58a3fbf21a8ed7f40b27

$35.95

If your fridge draws less than 3A, then you don't need anything else (other than a $4 thermocouple). To see how it's wired:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/kegerator-magic-chef-mcbr445-191756/

A bit of an update on this technique. Our new fridge is defective. The condensor kicks on for about five seconds and then kicks off. Somehow our fridge functioned and its a new energy saving fridge so I just figured it was supposed to do that. A few days ago it just stopped keeping stuff cold so we moved stuff like dairy and meat to the old refrigerator. Stuff like veggies are still in it and I put in two one gallon milk jugs of ice that I rotate daily and it has been keeping the fridge about 56-58 degrees. Also the repairman is on his way.

Back