When to add agave?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Reaction score
I'm planning to make an agave wheat this spring. The base will be an American wheat with agave added at 10% by weight. Agave nectar is very much like honey, so I'm treating it like a honey addition. However, I can't decide where to add it. I've seen two options for using honey: (1) add it for the last 20 minutes of the boil, or (2) pasteurizing it and adding to the primary when fermentation winds up. For convenience, I'd like to just add it to the boil, but I suspect that the agave flavor will not come through. What do you recommend?

The earlier in the process you add an ingredient with subtle flavors like agave the less of those flavors will make it to the finished beer. I've had the best luck adding honey after primary fermentation has subsided, and I'd take a similar tact with agave.

The one time I used agave I gave it a short boil to pasteurize and added it after primary fermentation, I still didn't get much character with 3.5 oz/gallon.

Good luck.

Back