First batch skunky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarter

Reaction score
Well, I tried a bottle from my first batch and it had a strong taste of what is best described as "strong coffee aftertaste". By that I mean the taste that a stong cup of coffee leaves in your mouth an hour after you drank it. The beer was good other than that.

I think that it needs to age for a few weeks, (only been bottled for eight days) Will this aftertase subside soon?
I made several mistakes on this batch but I I think it will be fine with aging. Does anyone have an opinion on long to let it age before it reaches its flavor peak?

So is it that your beer is skunky? If so, skunky aroma comes from the beer being exposed to light resulting in a breakdown of a hop component. Somewhere along the line you exposed your beer to light, natural or artificial. Do you ferment in glass carboys? If so, cover them completely so no light gets in. I cover my carboys with a dark colored t-shirt. Is you beer in clear or green bottles? Brown bottles are best for keeping out light, but even they should be stored out of direct sunlight and intense artificial light.

I hope this helps.

Dr Malt

what kind of beer did you make? Some have a coffee taste. If you are unsure UPS the batch over to me and I will "dipose of it" for you. Im sure it will be fine

"strong coffee aftertaste" isn't skunky, believe me. What you have should mellow in 3-4 weeks. What type of ale is it?

Its a basic Coopers Lager, The one that ships with their kit. I bottled in Corona bottles but they are aging in a pantry with no light. I tried one right after the post and they have imprved alot with just one day so they should get much better with a few more weeks in the pantry; :)

mmm beer said:
what kind of beer did you make? Some have a coffee taste. If you are unsure UPS the batch over to me and I will "dipose of it" for you. Im sure it will be fine

Thanks for the offer mmm beer, Ill give you a call if I have any left!

By the way, A big thanks to all ya'll! Your insightful answers will definitely help improve future batches!

Back