bleach /help!/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
ok, I've got a bottle of bleach which is sodium-hypochlorite with 4% of active chlorine.

everywhere people say it has to be unscented. my bleach has a strong swimming-pool-like scent.

is this ok?

how much of it per 6 gallons plastic fermentor??

Hi 400. The smell is just what bleach smells like, i think. No worries.

As to proportions (how much bleach per gallon) lots of folks responded to your earlier thread with great info on dilution ratios.

Cheers!

ditto on the previous comments - regular bleach smells like swimming pools because that's what they use. Now if you're used to your pool smelling like tulips or citrus, you may have several problems.

A tip for using bleach. I wouldn't worry so much about the concentration as I would about proper rinsing. If you're using glass, I would mix as strong as 3/4 Cup in 6 gal and in plastic, maybe only 1/2 Cup. Also, you need to let bleach sit for approx 30 min to sanitize.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - rinse extremely well with the hottest water you can stand. Also, if you dry vessels upside down (to let water drain), you also need to flip them upright to let chlorine gas escape. You can keep rinsing a carboy and drying it and when you smell it, it will smell like chlorine. I take the carboy, add 1-2" hot water in the bottom, shake it up (covering the mouth of the carboy) and when I take my hand off, the heated air explodes out carrying chlorine gas with it.

Make the move to Starsan and you will never look back.

Back