7-26-09 BrewDay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcdillin

Reaction score
So since my pipeline has been dry of beer for a few weeks now I decided to get off my butt and brew a batch. It was a good time to test all the new BT features and my new solenoid valve setup.

The worst thing was that about halfway through the mash I dropped and broke my only hydrometer and my test jar and we don't have any LHBS. Soo this is going to be called the Flying Blind Amber Ale.

I was brewing 11 gallons of house amber ale.

Here are some shots of the system all set up.

dsc_0010.jpg

dsc_0011.jpg

dsc_0013.jpg

dsc_0016.jpg

Partway through the mash

dsc_0025.jpg

Here you can see the wort at the beginning of the recirculation.

dsc_0015.jpg

And then here it is towards the end

dsc_0031.jpg

And the final result

dsc_0036.jpg

That's a great looking set-up. Very sweet.

Bummer on the hydrometer. Maybe time to put a $30 refractometer on the shopping list. Not quite as accurate, but they will take a more abuse than a hydrometer.

Yeah i've been eyeing them, this hydro lasted almost 2 years so I guess it did pretty good.

It's setups like this that scare away newbies! Seems like you could use some shade out there in Miami, gotta be warm. Very nice brew rig! :mug:

heh heh, thanks!

Yeah after it hit the 3 hour mark I was starting to get a bit warm. I wish I had a covered patio to brew on.

At least I had the pool to jump in between steps :)

Very nice, very nice. Glad to see you actually getting to use the BT's ever increasing features!

How did the volume calcs seem to work for you?

Very nice, very nice. Glad to see you actually getting to use the BT's ever increasing features!

How did the volume calcs seem to work for you?

Figures I would be the one of the designers of the creation and I barely get to brew with it.

The volume calcs were off because I had messed up the calibrations and the heat does cause some issues. But I think we can subtract the volume added by the heat.

Back