Honey Harvesting- When and quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsta Porter

Reaction score
Many thanks for the response.

I am just getting into brewing Meads. I am interested in doing some bulk purchases of honey. When is honey normally harvested? Does time of the year determine quality at all?

Many thanks!

Generally speaking, honey has an indefinite shelf life, although I like to use mine within a year of harvest when possible. As long as it hasn't crystallized (and even if it has crystallized but has been that way for a short period of time - a few weeks to a month), it should be good. Some of the aroma characteristics can be lost and the honey can oxidize over time, but that generally takes a long time (a year or longer). So harvest time really doesn't matter too much.

Harvesting depends where you live, for local honey...typically. I believe it's usually late summer to fall. My understanding is that the varietals that have blooms in springs are typically harvested earlier. I am not a beekeeper, I have looked through these questions in the past and read Ken Schramm's book. Very good read.

Many thanks for the responses. I will start checking local honey suppliers in the coming weeks then.

Appreciate it!

I am a second generation bee keeper and if you want a lighter honey get in in the spring, if you want a richer honey get in the fall. Honey in good indefinitely as wayneb said. They have pulled honey out of pyramids and tombs and it was still good. We would always lend our hives out to farmers with a specific kind of crop like apple orchards, strawberries, and whatnot. It would always give the honey different kind of flavor. Buckwheat is some pretty interesting honey never tried making mead out of it always wanted to. Get with one of your local apiaries, you might strike a deal. Besides it will always be better than the stuff that's ultra pasteurized from the store.

Back