Rye Grain and Oily Mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like what rye adds to my beer recipes and have been adding it at different levels. When it reaches 1/3 of the grain bill, I’ve sometimes noticed a thick, slick kind of oily mouthfeel. Researching it I’ve read that low levels of diacetyl could cause this, but there’s no popcorn buttery flavor and I’ve only had the problem when using rye. BJCP says "an almost oily slickness" is ok for Oatmeal Stout, but doesn’t mention it for Roggenbier. Has anyone had this problem with rye or should I be looking more at diacetyl?

Here’s the grain bill:
32% 2-row
32% Pale Wheat
19% Malted Rye
13% Flaked Rye
.8% Roasted Barley
3.2% Tarbinado Sugar

The taste is good, but the oily mouthfeel is distracting. It pours thick and with minimal carbonation even with the pressure set at 12 psi. Higher carbonation levels are normal in Roggen’s, so I’ve cranked the pressure up to see if this will take away from the slickness.

I get the slick mouthfeel from flaked rye, but not malted rye. You could try exchanging them to see if that helps.

I have definitely gotten it from malted rye, but usually only when associated with a high hop level.

I believe a beta glucan rest may help with it.

The reason I said that was the fact that I have gotten the oiliness when making Rye IPAs, but I have made a Rye Dry Stout and Rye Brown with very little noticeable oiliness.

So higher than a Dry Stout or Brown I guess. It could have easily been other factors though.

Rye makes for a sticky, gelatinous mess. The betaglucen levels are very high, as are the proteins.

I had some problems with my roggenbier because of this.

As for "oily", I don't recall having that, but one thing I always do is skim the top of the boil to get rid off the goop. That stuff is definitely "oily"...it may help, I dunno.

A beta-glucan rest is a good idea...I may do that next time.

Here is a good read I found:

BT - Brewing with Rye

Hard to believe it's been almost three years since the last time I brewed a big rye beer. I gave some thought to the past slick mouthfeel issue, but went ahead with a 1.075 OG recipe that had 40% rye (30% malted / 10% flaked) and 80 IBU's of American hops. Kind of a Roggenbier meets American IPA experiment. It's tasty, but damned if this beer doesn't have the same problem as the one from 2009.

So, here's the question. Is it even a problem? In a BJCP competition, would slick mouthfeel take away points in a rye based beer in the Specialty Beer category? The guidelines describe a Roggenbier as having a medium to full body, but nothing specifically about slickness. Any judges or someone experienced with rye beers have an opinion on how the beer would do in a contest?

I went searching online for these exacts descriptions when I brewed up a Roggen back in Dec 2017 (slick, oily mouthfeel) and I came across your post. I was stunned to find that someone else was asking the same questions that were running in my mind. My rye grist was also around 1/3 of the total grain-bill. I did NOT do a beta-glucan rest. From the initial pour, the medium to medium-heavy mouthfeel, an oily, viscous mouthfeel, was apparent. Like you, I cranked up the co2 but that did not improve things. So I set the keg aside and pondered what went wrong. I had brewed several batches with Rye before (mostly RyePA) but my rye grist was always low. I was angry that this 5-gal batch seemed ruined. I consulted with the owner of a local brewery who happened to be releasing his own Roggen after having not brewed it for a few years (I bought a corny keg of his batch). One of the first things he told me, before I could even ask, was to say that his beer had one of the heaviest mouthfeels that he could remember in a Rye based brew. This immediately triggered a long conversation about the challenges of brewing with a large portion rye grist. I found myself relieved that what I was experiencing was not some unexpected and unexplained fault in my brew day. So I sampled his Roggen and mine side-by-side and experienced the same viscous body. Fast forward a few months in the keg and both beers are now drinking with a noticeably lighter body. I have no explanation for why that is so, but I am taking away two lessons learned from this. The first is that I will keep my rye grist to a minimum in the future. Second, I believe that a Roggen needs some time to keg condition as the slick mouthfeel will dissipate. -Cheers!

Try a Lipoxygenase Rest(fatty acid rest for the free long-chain sugar molecules) between 113-131 for 30 minutes

Do a rest at 43°C, this will be a combined beta glycan and protein rest. Works well in a Roggenbier.

Latest posts

Back