Rebuilding Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_pwb

Reaction score
I just picked up 4 Kegs from my local princess auto, a steal at 24.99 each...
They seem to be in pretty good shape overall, But all seem to be leaking from the lid...
So other than replacing the lid o-ring, the two dip tube o-rings and the two o-rings on the post, and the obvious cleaning and sanitising, is there anything else anyone would recommend doing to them in order to rebuild them?

I don't think so. Aside from completley dismantling the keg posts, giving all the parts a good clean, and using new o-rings, you should be OK. I have the same task ahead of me, and I picked up two kegs the other week.

I only replace the rings if they look bad. For some reason, all the dip tube rings on every keg I have bought looks like a dog has chewed on it, so they all have been replaced.

You are on the right track. Once you get them put back together, be sure to seal them with a 30 psi shot of CO2 and check for leaks with a little starsan water.

Old o-rings (especiall dip tube rings)can carry off lavors associated with what was in the kegs last. Soda kegs are very bad for this. For the pennies it costs to replace the o-rings, I say just do it and get it over with. It helps to know what the kegs were used for, The carpet cleaning business seems to get there hands on these from time to time and they put some rather harsh chemicals in them. I know someone who bought a few and hed to throw them away since he could never get the chemical taste/smell out of them.

After you pressurize the kegs, put a few drops of water on top of the poppit valves and see if there is any bubbling. sometimes they just need to be cleaned real good to fix it & sometimes they need to be replaced. Poppit valves are very cheap too.

Other than dismantling and a good soak in hot PBW solution, that is pretty much it. You can rig a pressure gauge to a quick-disconnect via a short piece of gas line and make a pressure tester. Pressurize the kegs, measure the internal pressure, then let them sit over-night and test pressure again. If it is the same, you are good to go.

Also....get some keg lube for the o-rings.....helps to lubricate and seal them....

keg lube seems to really help let the o-rings settle in and make a good seal. It's nothing special seems like food grade vaseline.

does any one have a list of the seals that it would take to replace all the seals? I have a couple of poppits that need replacing and I thought I would just get all the seals just in case.

Where are you located at? what princess auto did you get these from??? :mug:

Edit: nevermind....just realized this was an old post that got dug up...i c you're in the Regina area...PA's stock is pretty much dried up now, good luck finding them..if you see any, grab em if you're even 'thinking' about possibly kegging..

does any one have a list of the seals that it would take to replace all the seals? I have a couple of poppits that need replacing and I thought I would just get all the seals just in case.

You can get the o-rings from keg connection, midwestern supply and a few other places.. my LHBS carries them too.

Not sure if the prices are current, I use the ones in blue. Edit: I just re-read you question, I'm not sure you can replace the seals on the poppits themselves, just the orings on the diptubes and posts and lid:

O-rings for kegs - McMaster-Carr

item # 9452K172
Buna-N O-Ring AS568A (DIP TUBE)
Dash Number 109,
Packs of 100 (Same as 9452K342)
$1.89

item # 9452K23
Buna-N O-Ring AS568A (POST)
Dash Number 111,
$2.15

item # 9452K218
Buna-N O-Ring AS568A (LID)
Dash Number 417,
Packs of 10 (Same as 9452K342)
$12.50

Alternate improved DIP tube O-rings
90025K368 -
Double Seal Buna-N O-Ring As568A
Dash #109
Pkg 100/$4.72

Silicone version O-rings for POST tubes
9396K24 -
Silicone O-Ring As568A Dash#111
Pkg 100/$13.53

Improved Lid- O-Ring
9396K926
Silicone O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 417
$7.88 per Pack

Not sure if the prices are current, I use the ones in blue. Edit: I just re-read you question, I'm not sure you can replace the seals on the poppits themselves, just the orings on the diptubes and posts and lid:

O-rings for kegs - McMaster-Carr

item # 9452K172
Buna-N O-Ring AS568A (DIP TUBE)
Dash Number 109,
$1.89

item # 9452K23
Buna-N O-Ring AS568A (POST)
Dash Number 111,
$2.15

item # 9452K218
Buna-N O-Ring AS568A (LID)
Dash Number 417,
Packs of 10 (Same as 9452K342)
$12.50

Alternate improved DIP tube O-rings
90025K368 -
Double Seal Buna-N O-Ring As568A
Dash #109
Pkg 100/$4.72

Silicone version O-rings for POST tubes
9396K24 -
Silicone O-Ring As568A Dash#111
Pkg 100/$13.53

Improved Lid- O-Ring
9396K926
Silicone O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 417
$7.88 per Pack

Thanks for the info here!
Is are the Dip Tube orings the same for Beer Out and Gas in (plastic and SS) tubes?

And I second to the Dip Tube o-rings looking like a dog mauled them!

Thanks for the info here!
Is are the Dip Tube orings the same for Beer Out and Gas in (plastic and SS) tubes?

And I second to the Dip Tube o-rings looking like a dog mauled them!

Yes, the dip tube o-rings are the same for either in or out and as far as I know are the same for SS/plastic in tubes.

Back