GF Pumpkin Ale (2.5 gal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstarner

Reaction score
So it's a little late for the fall season but my GF gf loves pumpkin and obviously did not have a chance to get any pumpkin beers this past fall. I have never done a pumpkin ale before so thought I would do an attempt at a 2.5 gal batch for her and see how it came out to maybe make again later at full size.

I had previously made a GF pale ale that came out really watery for my regular beer drinking taste. She loved it but thought I'd go for more body. Thus the small addition of oats and maltodextrin.

8 oz GF Oats (Roasted and steeped at 150 F for 30 min)
3 lb Sorghum LE (60 min)
30 oz Pumpkin Puree (30 min)
.5 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
.5 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (10 min)
4 oz Brown Sugar (5 min)
4 oz Maltodextrin (5 min)
4 oz Honey (Flameout)

1 oz Kent Goldings Hops (60 min)

S-04 Dry Yeast

Pumpkin roasted for an hour at 350 F to caramelize the sugars
Oats roasted at 350 F until brown

Expected OG 1.057
Expected FG 1.015
SRM 9
IBU 35.6
ABV % 5.6

Any questions/comments/thoughts appreciated as it is only my second GF batch and first pumpkin. Thanks and cheers!

I think that's a LOT of pumpkin puree for a 2.5 gallon batch, but then again, I use twice that amount for a 5.5 gallon batch :)

There is a recipe in my drop down that is similar to yours. Read through it, I've even posted some brew day pics!

I'd drop the hop addition in half. 35 is too much IMO. The rest of your recipe looks fine.

I made a pumpkin spice ale forever ago, turned out to be probably the best GF beer I have made.

Jack-O-Gluten

10gal batch and used a whole 12lb pumpkin in it! ;)

I think that's a LOT of pumpkin puree for a 2.5 gallon batch, but then again, I use twice that amount for a 5.5 gallon batch :)

There is a recipe in my drop down that is similar to yours. Read through it, I've even posted some brew day pics!

I tried your pumpkin ale a couple nights ago and it was good.

I halved the hops. First time steeping oats of any kind...didn't get much color so hopefully it did something!

What type of pumpkin did you guys use?

And in the US what pumpkin do they use for pumpkin puree?

What type of pumpkin did you guys use?

And in the US what pumpkin do they use for pumpkin puree?

Well, we just call em pumpkins here!

I used Cucurbita Pepo, also known as jack-o-lantern pumpkins or Connecticut field pumpkins, Howden pumpkins, and Howden Biggie pumpkins.

Common canned varieties are Cucurbita Moschata.

Basically, get the big, orange ones. ;)

@DKershner I'm brewing your pumpkin spice ale this week. I was just wondering what baking a 13 lb pumpkin yielded in terms of pumpkin puree. Obviously, you didn't get 13 lb of pumpkin puree. I'm just guestimating that it was somewhere around 9-10 lb of pumpkin puree. I'm brewing mine with canned pumpkin since it's available and a little easier than baking some big ass pumpkin.

I dunno, evidently most are oblong and tan in color. Basically all the taste but none of the looks.

Indeed. Most canned pumpkin products are actually butternut squash and a tiny bit of actual pumpkin. The best pumpkin I've ever eaten was called the Cinderella Blue, purchased at a local farm. It was a white pumpkin on the outside (with a small hint of blue tinge) and the inside was flame red. Incredibly delicious for everything, some of the best pies and bread I've ever eaten.

Back