How long does your Cornie last you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I love the homebrewing thing and I want to add a lot more kegs as I go. Right now, I have two taps set up using my refrigerator in my gameroom. I have only one keg tapped at this time and I am finding that I drink a bit more than normal, knowing I have it available at anytime.

My son is coming home for Christmas with his girlfriend and I am also having my daughter and her husband over during the holiday. I'm thinking I am going to have to have three or four kegs available (5 gallons each) for the time they are here.

So anyway to my thread question:

How long does your keg last you under normal (I know this is open to interpretation) conditions? A day, A week or A month?

I am not talking about aging potential, I mean useage.

Do you think 3 or 4 kegs would be enough for 6 individuals over say two or three days?

Salute! :mug:

DUDE. 3 kegs is like 150 beers. 4 kegs is at least 200. 6 people? 3-4 days? Factor in each drinking 10 a day, for 4 days = 40 each, then there is six so 240 beers. Probably should go ahead and tell the SWMBO that you need to brew AT LEAST 3 more. On a more serious note, unless you guys are getting tanked it will be PLENTY.

Before I kegged I figured a cornie would last too long as I typically don't drink an average of one beer a day. However.. now that I have a brew I like on tap I'd have to say,"not long enough!". My consumption has at least doubled, so just by myself a keg isn't going to last a month. I need to brew more!
A DAY?????? Damn Jaybird...you got a lot of free loading friends?

I'm still in the early kegging stages as I'm only on my third keg...but my consumption has gone up for those three kegs.

The first one lasted five weeks and the next two only a month!

A beer a day pretty much for myself and SWMBO and apparently a lot on the weekends!!!

:mug:

My average corny lasts me about 5 weeks, with one person sucking on the tap. That being said, I am away traveling about 4 days a week in most cases, so....
There is always a reason to brew more!

When I started Kegging, I was going through a keg in three weeks or less sometimes..I'm drinking a little less these days. I probably go through a keg in 4-5 weeks..

When I bought store beer I would drink about 1.5 beers a night. Now I drink about 3 a night on average.

50 (beers in a 5 gallon keg)/ 3 (beers a night) = 16.6

I call it about 2 weeks. But I would just fill everything you have with beer. Buy as many cornies as you can store.

If the wife asks too many questions about the number of kegs start talking about the life cycle of yeast and the fermentation process. By the time you get to the point she will not be listening. So as long as you end confidence and a phrase like, "And it only seems logical that I bought those." Don't get too specific in your closing. In your closing avoid proper nouns, numbers, and when referring to the item in question be vague.

I learned this method from my girlfriend why I ask her about buying shoes.

Depends on what size your glassware is... :) Using 1 liter mugs, 5 gallons goes quick. Pints, not so quick.

I guess I'm the exception to the rule. I've had a corny of OktoberFast on since the end of September and there is still a few pints in it. I'll drink a pint or two a night of the lighter ABV stuff (Mild, Blond, Cream) and leave the heavy ABV stuff (5% and up) for weekends.

We'll ignore the 1/2bbl of Bud Light that has been sitting in the cooler since June. :eek:

I drink out of 20oz "pint" glasses.

5 gallons = 640oz = 32 glasses.

2 glasses a day = 16 days.

Ouch.

I need to go ahead and order another kit...

Yeah, I am looking at 40 days per keg... soooo 6 kegs should last me um... 240 days? Wow, and when I have the other 2 filled in December, wow that is 320 days of homebrew?
Anyone want to come over and drink?:mug:

It takes me quite some time to go through kegs. Even when I had Ed's Haus Pale Ale on tap, and was bringing growlers of it with me EVERYWHERE, I still took over 4 weeks to go through it. Maybe I need to step up intake?

growler.jpg

That's not a growler.

jugs.jpg

THAT'S A GROWLER! :D

Pol, I might just have to make that trip to Indy some day soon!

To the OP, not many times have I heard people say "dang, I have too much good homebrew laying around during the festivities"...

I've been working on convincing SWMBOzilla that kegging is a much better idea. Leaving bottles unwashed as long as possible, not condensing cases as I finish part of one, ect. I will DEFINATELY not let her see this thread! She already thinks 2/night is borderline alcoholism, even though she likes beer and got the starter kit for me last year!:confused:

That said, I guess the small fridge holding two cornies just wont work. Now I need to make a keezer as well? God I LOVE this obssesion!!!!:tank:

It takes me quite some time to go through kegs. Even when I had Ed's Haus Pale Ale on tap, and was bringing growlers of it with me EVERYWHERE, I still took over 4 weeks to go through it. Maybe I need to step up intake?

Oh, definately Lauren... drink more and start posting drunk!

Pol, I might just have to make that trip to Indy some day soon!

To the OP, not many times have I heard people say "dang, I have too much good homebrew laying around during the festivities"...

I am adding the Duvel Clone and maybe another IPA or APA to the stock before it is full. You are welcome to stop in any time, there is always something goin on!

At my last party, ~40 people drained 3 kegs of Oktoberfest and a bit more of some others. So 40÷6 = 6.7 days of drinking for 6 people in party mode, maybe less as we had a couple of designated drivers and some wine drinkers

Yeah, my Cherry Wheat is about half gone already. The red ale is still too strong tasting to drink much, and my next two are lagers so they won't be online until Christmas at the earliest.

I am going to have dry taps for a few weeks, it looks like.

And SWMBO was telling me I need to slow down on the brewing...

It depends what beer is in the keg for me... I drained a keg of IPA in 15 days, but I had an APA in there that took me about 4 weeks to consume...

I need to brew more!

I would say the average keg for me lasts anywhere from a month to several months depending on the brew. My most popular beer, Ed's Pale Ale, me and my wife enjoy so it usually lasts a month at the most, but something like a winter warmer may last me 4 months.

Well it looks as though I will be brewing at a faster pace and stocking up on the kegs. We like having a glass or two or three in the evenings and as I am still trying to get the game room finished, I spend a lot of time down there. I also make my own wines, so the basement has turned into a Brewery, Winery, Pub and Cellar.

Here is my new Tap setup for the bar:

CIMG1405.jpg

We clear out a keg in about three weeks.

This has become as much an obsession as the wine making is. I love it.

"If the wife asks too many questions about the number of kegs start talking about the life cycle of yeast and the fermentation process. By the time you get to the point she will not be listening. So as long as you end confidence and a phrase like, "And it only seems logical that I bought those." Don't get too specific in your closing. In your closing avoid proper nouns, numbers, and when referring to the item in question be vague."

You have got me laughing my a** off. Way to go, I will remember this one.

Well it looks as though I will be brewing at a faster pace and stocking up on the kegs. We like having a glass or two or three in the evenings and as I am still trying to get the game room finished, I spend a lot of time down there. I also make my own wines, so the basement has turned into a Brewery, Winery, Pub and Cellar.

Here is my new Tap setup for the bar:

CIMG1405.jpg

We clear out a keg in about three weeks. This has become as much an obsession as the wine making is. I love it.

Very cool! I wanted to go with a barrel head on the wall and faucets through that but couldn't swing it.

A keg lasts an average of 8.42 days here.

The average daily intake is 76 ounces, one regular pint for SWMBO and 3 x 20 ounces for me. Oh sure some days a bottle of commercial gets tossed in instead of a home brew, but that gets balanced by the just as common occurrence of the additional hb pint.

Of course we have 5 kegs, so any one individual keg isn't getting finished in 8.42 days.

Back