Carboy Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan19993

Reaction score
I have a problem... Just bottled my first batch of beer, and I'm having trouble cleaning my glass carboy so I can start another batch. What's the easiest, most effective way to do this. Any and all suggestions please!

I just do a sodium percarbonate (more expensive and stronger form of oxi clean) soak using hot water and leave it for about 20ish minutes. The bubbles and foaming action usually clean it out pretty well and then I scrub it with a carboy brush too. Works like a charm everytime.

I just soak it in hot water with oxiclean, swirling it around every now and then. It takes a while, but that stuff typically does the trick.

Great! Oxyclean is what I'll use. Any specific scrubber to use, say a carboy brush? Haha.

I don't use a brush. Rinse, oxyclean soak overnight and rinse again.

my carboy brush has been kept dry since I discovered the awesomeness of oxy clean. Assuming that you haven't had anything caked on the carboy for a really extended period of time, you should be good with a soak and rinse.

I wonder if water soaking would be as effective as oxi-clean soak. I found this to be the case when removing bottle labels.

if you get it on your hands then spray them with some starsan and rinse off as acid neutralizes base...

You may find that oxy can/will leave some scaling at the edge where it can dry. I moved to pbw and have had no troubles, same easy cleaning and no scale.

if I ever get a little reside from the oxy, a bit of starsan or white vinegar removes it pretty quick.

I've never used Oxyclean, but I haven't felt a need to. PBW is more expensive, but it's a no fuss cleaner. From what I have heard, it is a lot easier to rinse than Oxyclean. All I know is that I certainly don't spend a lot of time cleaning/rinsing with PBW when soaking over night. If you go with PBW, buy the bulk container to get more bang for your buck. I also use about half of the recommended dosage that they recommend on the container when I am soaking over night and have never had a problem.

Back