Decoctions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellmtbbq

Reaction score
Am I the only homebrewer who enjoys decoction mashes? Granted, they are messier, but a lot of fun. Plus it gives you more time to brew! I've done four this winter and still have two more "on tap" to brew.

In June, I'll be wondering whether I can decoct an IPA or an English bitter... :drunk:

I would do a single decoction if I needed to but I would not say I enjoy doing it. There is a homebrewer in my club that does EVERY beer in a full decoction mash. His brew days are 12-14 hours long... I would say HE likes doing them lol.

If you think decoctions are fun, try cereal mashing corn sometime. ;)

When I do them, I usually do doubles. Sometimes I do triples.

I don't know that I would say that I enjoy it. But it is a handy skill to have. I've missed my mashout temperature before. So I pulled a decoction from my MLT cooler and hit it.

I make my own malt, and it's always a little undermodified, so that's why I started decocting. I do mostly triples but some doubles an quadruples. The six, seven hour brews are fun.

I'm in the camp of brewers that enjoys them, though I have only done one so far as a result of missing my mash temp. I look forward to doing more. Anything that can stretch out my brew day is a good thing in my book :mug:

Back