Help me classify a rye pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irrenarzt

Professional Homebrewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking she's a 6D but it's really more of a pale ale than a wheat/rye brew as I read the guidelines as the hop bill is significant. OG was 1.050 and she finished off at 1.010 so she's not really an IPA per se but the hop bill is similar to an IPA in some ways.

IMG_0181.jpg

I did a very similar brew and put it in the rye/wheat category and got nailed for it. They said i should have put it in a hybrid category cause its so much like an american IPA

Hmmm, that's funny as class 6 is light hybrid beer and subcategory D is american wheat or rye beer. I really can't think of any better place to categorize it other than 23 but I already have 3 entries in 23 for this upcoming comp. Mine is definitely a pale ale, but not an IPA so 23 doesn't seem to be the best choice.

I did a rye pilsner last year and it was in 6D. That wasn't a great fit at the time I thought but I wasn't nailed on miscategorizing it.

Latest posts

Back