just bottled some chokecherry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip82

Reaction score
Well i just bottled my first batch of wine :ban: but as my roommate says "it has a bitter wild taste" i am hoping that it will turn out better after aging. is there a chance that it won't taste any better?

It depends on what's causing that bitter flavor. If it's a bit too much tannin, it will mellow. If it's from some crushed seeds or a recipe flaw, it won't.

What recipe did you use?

I used yours and i made sure to not crush the pits...so i am hoping that it is the tannins then. I don't believe that i am experienced enough with wine tasting to know what the tannins off flavors are. I guess it is to the closet for a year and hope they mellow out.

I used yours and i made sure to not crush the pits...so i am hoping that it is the tannins then. I don't believe that i am experienced enough with wine tasting to know what the tannins off flavors are. I guess it is to the closet for a year and hope they mellow out.

It should mellow out just fine. I don't know what's causing the "bitter" taste, though. That's never been my experience with chokecherries, in wine or in jam. Of course, it may be just that my taste buds are acclimated to it.

In my experience choke cherries vary a lot from tree to tree. Yours might just have more tannin to them the yoop's. But for me a 'bitter wild taste' is what I want/look for in a choke cherry wine.

Back