DME...hard to dissolve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeysab

Reaction score
Wow, what an experience. So I just got my second batch into the fermenter. It's a Coopers Wheat beer extract kit, with 500 mg LDME, and roughly 300 g dextrose. Basically, the "full kit". I followed the instructions to a t last time, and added boiling water, and I pitched the yeast too warm, so this time, I used hot water, below boiling. I thought I was in the clear. I added the can of extract and it dissolved fine, then the problems started. When I added the bag of DME, it all clumped up. I couldn't break up the clumps with the spoon, so I used an unsanitized whisk. I got 99 percent of the clumps broken up and dissolved, which took 10 minutes. Then I started adding water, and with every inch of water I added, I stirred up an inch of foam. I tried everything to reduce the foam, but nothing worked. so by the time I got to the 23 liter mark, the foam was up to the top of the fermenter. I used the spoon to remove some of the foam, but then thought maybe that wasn't such a good idea, so I let it sit for a couple of minutes, then remembered that I need to pitch the yeast pretty quickly, so I sprinkled the yeast on top of the foam, covered it up and sat it in a water bath at 25 c (77 F) Can someone please help and let me know if there's anything I should do, besides get the temp down? Or am I worrying for no reason? Thanks in advance for any help.

It sounds ok, except for that high temperature.

DME doesn't dissolve all that easily, but that's ok- the yeast can find it just fine. Foam is good- it shows that the wort has been aerated. You don't have to skim it off.

Next time, use a sanitized spoon or whisk, and dissolve it in the boiling water. It'll make it a bit easier.

Thanks for the quick response. I just checked, and the temp went down a degree. I threw a couple of ice packs in the water, so it should help. So you're saying I've been pulling my hair out for nothing? That's a relief. Would it hurt if I stirred the yeast into the wort, or should I let it sit on top of the foam?

Soak a towel in water and wrap the carboy - put a fan on it - it'll cool a carboy down 5 degrees pretty fast. no fan - just wrap a wet towel.

Let the yeast do it's thing. It knows what to do.

It's all good - relax. temp is the biggest worry but you'll do fine.

I just had that same clumping problem with a batch I brewed saturday. It is a PITA you have my sympathy.

When I add DME to something the boiling will normally dissolve it. I add LME late at the 15 minute mark and DME early to solve clumping.

Thanks a lot for all your responses. You really put my mind at ease now. I guess some things work themselves out as long as you do it close to right, but temp has to be done right. I can't wait for this batch to be ready. I'm thinking of making it a cherry wheat, but don't know if now is the time to experiment with flavors and secondaries. a couple more and maybe i"ll get a little more bold. Thanks again for everybody's help

well, the ice bath brought the temp down to 71, and some of the foam subsided. The yeast looks like it's starting to grow, since it turned dark brown/red and looks wet now. No airlock activity yet, except for one big burp when I moved the fermenter out of the water. It's been roughly 21 hours, so I'm hoping for some activity soon. the yeast should be in the wort soon. I'm guessing everything is ok. Hopefully I'm right. Thanks again for everyones help

Back