mildew fridge ok for fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I have a fridge that didn't get left open after it was unplugged and got mold/mildew all over it. I wiped it all out as best I could but there still has to be some in the inner workings of the fridge. This should be OK as long as I keep an airlock on my fermenter, correct?

Yeah it should in my opinion. I had the same problem and I just cleaned it with a chlorine solution to be on the safe side

I suggest you clean the fridge first. Clean it with soap and water, then rinse out. After that, either use Starsan in a spray bottle, or bleach water. There's no sense starting off dirty.

B

I had one given to me that was nasty. Covered in mold. I took off every piece that was screwed down, took a spray bottle and bleach and hosed it out. Works great now, but took a lot of work. Worth it for piece of mind and to get rid of the nasty mold smell.

Back