Frosty Nipple Golden Pale Ale v final tweaks? (input appreciated)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I've modified my recipe a few times getting everything setup.

So here is the final calculations.

All grain
10.5lbs 2-row (good stuff)
.25lb Carapils (body)
.25 Crystal 60 (color)

4.5 gallons of water @ 162ish - mash at 150-152ish degrees for 60 minutes (would 90 be better). Mashed by direct heat (on stove with burners to control the temp)

Sparge till I have the volume needed (7.5 gallons to start boil with) with each sparge resting for 10 minutes before dumping to boil kettle.

Cascade 1.5oz (60min)
Cascade 1.oz (30min)
Cascade 1.oz (5min)

Guessing 75% efficiency (Beersmith's default)

1. Is it ok to take a preboil gravity check to see if it's in range and if not add LME to make up for the difference?

I was told to add a couple lbs more 2-row since I probably won't hit my efficiency the first time out so I added enough to be at the top of the style and then will adjust from there with extract??

IBU's fall in around 44.4 (taking into consideration the AA% of the hops I have)

2. Do I need to tweak it any further? I think the Hops are in order as I removed one at 5min and subbed in more cascade. I think I had saaz there before.

I think that's it and that I didn't forget anything.

?

Sounds/reads good but what will it taste like?

thanks
jake

I personally would up the CaraPils to .5 and would probably throw in some crystal 20 or 40 and maybe some Munich for a little bit of flavor.

I would assume 70% efficiency for your first go-round.

60 min mash is plenty long enough.

Definitely take a pre-boil gravity reading and remember to adjust for temp in beersmith. I use DME to adjust from there.

I personally don't like cascades, but if you do, this should be tasty.

I would consider doing some water chemistry to make sure you get a nice clean hop profile depending on your water source.

Hope that helps.

Also, your sparge water should be around 185-190 to get your grain bed up to 168. Don't sparge with 168 water. I would also up the qt/lb of grain in to the 1.5 range to improve efficiency and make sparging easier.

Back