Meet the first woman Cicerone....And she is from Michigan!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
annette+may.jpg

Annette May, first woman to achieve Certified Cicerone status, hails from Michigan.

Annette May, first woman to achieve Certified Cicerone status, hails from Michigan - KalamaBrew: Beer making, brewing and microbrews - Kalamazoo Gazette - MLive.com

In a landmark achievement for both beer-appreciating women and Michigan residents, Annette May, of Allen Park, MI, has become the first woman to receive Certified Cicerone status.

Those who pass the test to become certified in the Cicerone program are proven to have demonstrated expertise in tasting, selecting and recommending beer.

May is the Beer Department manager at Merchant's Fine Wine in Dearborn, MI. She was previously employed as a sales representative for B. United International Imports and also worked at The Map Room, a Chicago specialty beer bar.

The Cicerone Program press release quotes May as saying "We're not just beer drinkers anymore ... now wine sommeliers and chefs ask for my advice on beer pairing!" Attaining Cicerone status, in the beer world, requires a level of expertise equivalent to that of a wine sommelier.

The certification program involves a four-hour exam, on which participants must score 80 percent or higher in the overall score, and 70 percent or higher in the tasting score, in order to be certified.

To get an idea of the exhaustive curriculum involved in the certification program, check out the Cicerone Web site. There are three different levels of certification participants can achieve: Certified Cicerone, Master Cicerone, and Certified Beer Server.

Only 16 beer professionals nationwide received the Certified Cicerone status in 2008.

Two other Michigan residents also passed the test to receive their certification: Michael Bardallis, of Allen Park, and Andrew Van Til, of Grand Rapids.

In another important 'first,' May, Bardallis, and Van Til are also the first three Michigan residents to become Certified Cicerones. Congratulations to all three!

Hmmm I wonder if she's single! :D

Wow, I just spoke to Annette for the first time on the phone the other day! I called for help choosing our first keg for our new kegerator. She was very helpful, and really know her stuff!!!

How does one pronounce Cicerone. On first glance I was like, "who would want to be a cheech a rony?" It's the Italian influence :) I figure it is either that or siserone.

Revvy, you should really lower your standards just a little. I think you would stand a much better chance with sheep. Give it a chance....

That is awesome! Good for her! I know I'd fail miserably if I even wanted to try that course.

It seems like a tough course, but I think I am going to study for it. I know that I could get the sponsor in a heartbeat, and I have inside information, as the one Cicerone from SD happens to be a friend.

Back