Clonebrews or Beer Captured?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levers101

Reaction score
I've been looking to buy either Clone Brews or Beer Captured for a few recipes. Either look like a good investment for recipes. Anybody have any suggestions on which is better? I'm leaning towards Beer Captured as its newer and might have some more current info. Should I consider otherwise? Or doesn't it matter?

Levers101 said:
Anybody have any suggestions on which is better?
I've got both...I prefer BC because, like you said, it's newer, and the ingredients used are those that you can find today in any LHBS or online store. The ingredients used in Clone Brews are all still around, but many of the mfg's names have changed and it takes a little digging at first to figure out what you're really looking for. Also, I've found that the instructions in BC are a little more complete than those in CB.

That said, I think CB has more of the older, traditional, must have recipes that eventually you'll want to go back and try out anyway, so for me BC has been a good starting point, but in the long term CB will give me a lot of recipes that I just can't live without.

Haven't ever used Clone Brews before, but I like the way Beer Captured gives you recipe alternative for partial mashes if you're an extract brewer. The Sam Adams Cream Stout Clone and Hoegaarden Clone are great recipes from that book.

Good luck with your decision, but like HB_99 said, you know you're gonna buy both anyway!

BREW ON:mug:

I'm sure I will buy both in time. :) Just looking for which to buy first. Thanks for the input. Going with Beer Captured looks like. Maybe the local bookstore has it.

Yup, homebrewer_99, I'm in Iowa City. What does the Quad Cities have to offer in the way of LHBS's?

I don't get that way often, but I have a friend who has a house in Orion, IL and get that way once in a while. Wouldn't mind checking out whatever they QC's has to offer in the way of homebrewing supplies.

Levers101 said:
Yup, homebrewer_99, I'm in Iowa City. What does the Quad Cities have to offer in the way of LHBS's?

I don't get that way often, but I have a friend who has a house in Orion, IL and get that way once in a while. Wouldn't mind checking out whatever they QC's has to offer in the way of homebrewing supplies.
Sucks actually. The closet place is in the Village of East Davenport. Expensive too. there's another place in Galseburg that I've been to - once. I just don't get to that neighborhood too often. Mostly I do mail order.

Orion is the QC Airport, exit 5. I'm a mile off of exit 27. Contact me if you're ever coming back this way and I'll buy you a beer, or two. Later.:D

Went to all three bookstores I know about in town and came up empty. Two told me that Beer Captured is out of print. I can get both for fairly cheap on Amazon, so I've decided that's what I'll do.

Thanks for the offer homebrewer_99. Sucks to hear that the LHBS in the QC's is crappy. I guess I definately won't be making a sole trip there for that then, and it wouldn't make sense even if it had good prices, as shipping on stuff would be less than the money I would spend on gas to get to the QC's.

The one in Iowa City/Coralville is alright. But they have good prices on equipment (comparable to mail order and without shipping cost) and have let me take their returned bottles for 5 cents each. Their selection on ingredients is, however, lacking, which is fine because they don't seem to get enough ingredient business to have a fresh stock.

Back