Can I get some feed back on a Blonde Recipe...Help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shagington

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP011 European Ale
Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.013
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
IBU: 17
Color: 7
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

06-B Light Hybrid Beer, Blonde Ale

Min OG: 1.038 Max OG: 1.054
Min IBU: 15 Max IBU: 28
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 5 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Grain/Extract/Sugar
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.50 lbs. American Two-Row Pale Malt
1.00 lb. American Munich Malt (Light)
.50 lbs. Crystal Malt (10L)
.50 lbs. Victory Malt
.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
.50 lbs. American Wheat Malt

Hops
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Hallertauer Whole (60 min.)
.50 oz. Saaz Whole (25 min.)
.50 oz. Saaz Whole (5 min.)

Fruit and Spices
-----
3.00 lbs. Oregon Blueberry Fruit Puree (Added @ end of primary fermentation)
2 sticks of Cinnamon (end of boil)
2 tsp. Fresh Lemon Zest (end of boil)

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP011 European Ale

*I know a Blonde Ale leans more to the malty, toasty, bready, grainy side than the hop bitterness, so I added Munich and Victory to give that flavor. Should I cut back the Hallertau in the bitterness stage and add on .5 oz at 60 min and .5 oz. at say 30 min. Also, I used the European Ale Yeast because it tends to give a more assertive malt flavor. Should I add more Blueberry puree? 6 pounds to get a bolder fruit flavor? My friends want that more fruitier Blonde, and I need help because i really have never made a blonde ale or assertive fruity beer. :cross: Help!!

If you made it without the fruit, it'd be a good blonde ale. Yeast isn't going to matter all that much with the Victory in there. I'd select a good, fairly neutral dry yeast, like US-06.

With the fruit, it's still going to be a good beer. I'd leave the spices out of it, though. Three pounds might be a bit light but it's a good start. Do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of the blueberry flavor extract; if the flavor tastes light at packaging time, it's the work of a moment to add a touch of flavor.

Bob

Kinda OT question: What are these fruit flavor extracts made out of?

I've tried to make fruit beers before with real fruit but I could never really taste it much. It seems like you need a TON of fruit to make a minor impact. Not to mention all the alcohol you inadvertently add to the beer.

Back