Long lost extract Kit??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acesb422

Reaction score
Was digging through my closet tonight and found my sonny oat ale that i got from AHS. The problem is i got it like 6 or 7 months ago. all still sealed in the bags and everything. I am wondering if it would be worth it to brew it or if i should just accept my loss and order a new or different kit. Just curious. thanks

From what I've read over the past few days on this forum, no one will ever, EVER tell you to chuck something away because it's old. Hell, I'd consider it worth trying even if I hadn't read all of those "don't dump it!" posts because what's the worse thing that can happen? Certainly not as bad as just throwing something away out of hand.

Just brew it!

I agree. Don't pitch it without at least giving it a try.

It may not be as good as it could have been but you might be surprised. I would recommend using fresh yeast though.

Just my 2cents.

-1 on fresh yeast.

Not that old. Brew it. If dry yeast, if you haven't let your house/closet run up over 110F, don't sweat the yeast, it will be fine - though in the future you might wish to park the yeast packet in the fridge (and the hops in the freezer) when the kit gets home.

I'm brewing happy beer with happy dry yeast that were happily 7 years past "expiration" date, so I REALLY don't think you have anything to worry about on the yeast side. Liquid extract may be a bit darker than it was, not a big deal. Dry extract will be more or less unchanged if still dry.

Brew it.

thanks for the advice. I will just order some yeast and get it going. I just thought i heard somewhere that you were not able to use stuff that had gotten old. That will save me the money that i can order another kit or bottles or something. sweet.

Back