Why bring to boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Why is it neccesary to bring the water to a boil BEFORE adding the extract? It seems like a waste of time?

Couldnt you just add the extract after steeping then add top up water and boil that?

It just makes it easier to dissolve the extract the hotter the water is but you can do it your way too. No difference really unless you're adding a LOT of extract to a small amount of water.

Bobby_M said:
It just makes it easier to dissolve the extract the hotter the water is but you can do it your way too. No difference really unless you're adding a LOT of extract to a small amount of water.

O get ya. I could see it being more difficult to disovle DME in cooler water.

DeathBrewer said:
i usually add it as its coming to a boil...it's hot enough to dissolve it, but it doesn't clump as bad and i don't have to remove it from the heat.

Good idear, ill try that out next time.

The norm seems a bit like a waste of propane and time.

Generally speaking, you use much more heat to bring the water to a boil. If you add extract at this time and it isn't stirred extremely well, it settles to the bottom and scorches easily. If the pot is already boiling hot but removed from the heat, your extract dissolves easier and requires less flame to maintain a boil reducing the chances of scorching.

At least in my opinion.

Linc

I just made Cheesefoods Cream Ale which called for 6 lbs of DME. I added it just after steeping and used a big whisk to dissolve the powder - mash was at about 170 degrees. It worked super, in fact so good that the big whisk is now put away with my brew equipment.

Interesting thing was the foam stayed l put all the way up to boil and until I added the hos. It instantly disappeared when that happened.

I would think that you would get more canalization to your extract/sugars by having it heated the extra time it takes to bring it to a boil from steeping temps.

Just my stinking on the matter.

From my short experience and limited research, you don't have to. Most DME and LME have already been boiled and don't even have to be boiled. The boiling is for the hops and allowing the bitterness to become soluble in water. You should look into late extract addition method (which I have about 2 days ago) and found it can save you $ on hops, add more flavor, prevent the extract 'tangy-ness', reduce needed boiling time, improve 'crispness', and allow for light color. This is what i think...I just did my first late addition extract (IPA) tonight so if all turns out as planned, it should be better than most extract brews and saved me $ on hops.

If you have steeped grains and separated them from the wort you can add the extract before the boil. If the water gets too hot it can be difficult to dissolve a large clump unless you are ready to stir as you're pouring it in the pot.

DeathBrewer said:
i usually add it as its coming to a boil...it's hot enough to dissolve it, but it doesn't clump as bad and i don't have to remove it from the heat.

+1 on DB's post.

I did a PM batch yesterday that had 6 pounds of DME in it. After I sparged and put the wort on the stove I worked all 6 pounds into it as it was coming up to boil (WHile it was coming up between 170-190.)

I had no clumping issues whatsoever....No sticky containers or anything.

Back