Strange white growth in the carbouy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matti

Reaction score
UPDATED! Please check the update below

Hi! Fellow wine maker from Finland here! This is my 3rd batch of wine but this is the first time I face this problem.

I'm making a batch of peach-grape wine, feremented in the primary for 10 days, racked to secondary and left it for 1.5 months, then racked off lees to another carbouy and it's been like this for about 1 month now.

Today I was checking on the clearing process and I was surprised to see a strange white growth

Relevant information:
SG: 0.994
Time since pitching the yeast: 88 days
I used a CO2-N2 mixture to purge the headspace after the second racking.

Photos:
Image 1: http://i.imgur.com/XbHcIj2.jpg
Image 2: http://i.imgur.com/R1zMlX5.jpg

Any ideas? Should I be worried? Should I rack and clean the carbouy?

Thank you wall in advance :mug:

Update:

I racked the wine to a temp container, and cleaned the carbouy. While cleaning I found out that the white "growth" is a dried sulfier solution from a possible suck-back due to the temperature difference between day and night. From -5C to 23C (23F to 73F).
Upside is I gave it a taste. Just about perfect. Dry as a Sahara, which is what I was looking for. A bit more acidic than I expected, but still very good.

Initially I thought it was some dry yeast dust that clung to the neck when you pitched. But after reading it has been nearly three months that seems very unlikely.

I had a cluster of white somethings kinda similar to yours in the headspace of a mead about three years ago. Must have been something airborne that got in while racking. I racked it, cleaned it and didn't have any problems afterwards. So I'd suggest racking and cleaning.

Back