Making the jump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhobs126

Reaction score
Ok, I've been doing extract for a while and want to try all grain. I've gathered 3 American 15.5 kegs. I've looked on line for the weldless valves and such and am not just quite sure what all I need for a basic setup. I will do gravity feed at first probably put it all on a brew bench of sorts and would eventually like to add a small pump. I need a good link on a how to video for a. Beginner setup. I want a hot liquor tank, mash tun, and a boil pot all out of my kegs. Thank you

Most may disagree, but I suggest making yourself an igloo MLT and run your first couple batches that way. Really forgiving and helps "ease" into all grain while you figure out how you want to set up your system and what works for you.

I did a couple of partial mashes to "get my feet wet" and get some experience hitting/maintaining temperatures, dealing with large volumes of wet grain, etc. with the "safety net" of getting most of my fermentables still from extract, so as to avoid a worst-case scenario of making five gallons of unfermentable starch-and-tannin tea. Definitely made my first all-grain batch go a lot smoother, having been able to work the biggest bugs out of my process on a couple of partial-mash dry runs.

Also, +1 on the round igloo cooler -- it's reasonably priced, dead simple, and the spigot holes on the ones with spigots are the perfect size for 1/2"-ID fittings. I love mine, and anticipate using it on many batches yet to come.

Back