From growler to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan71017

Reaction score
OK here's the scenario: a work buddy and I have made it our goal in life right now to try every beer on Beer Advocate's top 100 popular beers list. Whenever we come across a beer on the list we always grab an extra one so the other guy can try it too. I was thinking about doing some light traveling to acquire some of these beers. I'm almost certain that some of these breweries do not bottle their beer and I've heard that growlers only keep beer good for about 5 days or so before the oxidation sets in. My question is: how do I get the beer from the growler, into a bottle so I can bring back some for my buddy? Is there a special technique in doing it so that minimal to no flavor or carbonation is lost? I've heard something about pouring it into a bottle, putting it in the freezer, waiting until it's almost frozen and then capping it. Has anyone ever heard of this method? If so, have you tried it and does it work? Or should I just simply pour it from growler to bottle, cap it and call it good? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Back