More Beer, Less Work, Same Equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
I had this idea and thought someone has to have already tried/solved/shot down this one already but couldn't find it.

Typically I brew extract kits in my 8 1/2 gallon kettle and do full boils and make 1 5gallon batch.

What I had the idea of doing is DOUBLING my ingredients in my boil to as much as possible in my kettle and then splitting into 2 fermentation buckets using top off water.

Anyone have any advice on doing something like this?
I understand that doing a full boil will ideally end up with a better beer in the end, but if I wanted to have more beer with spending the same amount of time?

I would guess that trading in my kettle for a 15 gallon or something would be the best option, but without getting new equipment what do you think the plan would look like?

Thanks!

From what I understand you will get less efficiency from your hops and it is probably more likely to scorch the wort. If you are doing extracts you could possibly remedy the second problem by added half the malt extract at the end of the boil. I boil in a <5 gal pot and I my beers got a lot lighter and had less unfermentable sugars when i started added LME at the end of the boil.

Latest posts

Back