First Cider Brew, NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan619

Reaction score
Here's what I did.
Four days ago, I tossed five gallons of fresh, unpasturized cider into the carboy and pitched my yeast, shook it to incorporate air and threw on the airlock. I've made beer several times and kept all my equipment clean and sanitized. The temperature is set on 60F for the yeast.

Nothing is happening!!!!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

What kind of yeast? Is it JUST juice? Unpasturized... did you boil it at all? If so, add peptic enzymes?

If nothing else... instead of ptiching the yeast straight in, try making a starter. Get a clean glass, add some warm water, and then add your yeast. Get that going then toss it in. Maybe also add some yeast nutrient to the starter.

I have had mixed luck with getting one of my current ciders going... the other one is going fine. So is my craynberry wine, but my hard lemonade is fighting me every step of the way, so I'm about to do a starter with yeast nutrient too. <sighs>

Back