Mushroom Foraging - Eastern PA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn_brew

Reaction score
I am looking to learn more about foraging for mushrooms. I live near the Lehigh Valley in PA and I am trying to find someone to show me around the mushroom rich area in which I live.

Anyone know anyone (or anyone that knows anyone) that might be willing to share some knowledge so I don't pick toxic mushrooms?

I am looking to learn more about foraging for mushrooms. I live near the Lehigh Valley in PA and I am trying to find someone to show me around the mushroom rich area in which I live.

Anyone know anyone (or anyone that knows anyone) that might be willing to share some knowledge so I don't pick toxic mushrooms?

You're my neighbor. Are you looking "mushrooms?" Or...Mushrooms? Cause, I know a guy *wink wink*

Yeah I saw that one too - I'm not a member of the morel message boards, thought I would try here first. I'll probably post there next.

Even tried local clubs but they weren't ever really in my area...

beninan said:
I know someone. In fact, I know a lot of people. But they don't forage for mushrooms.

This post is useless except for the fact that I am interested myself.

I too am posting nothing helpful out of my own selfish interest in the outcome of this thread

This is asking where is the best place to go to pan for gold. People that gather those types of mushrooms are VERY secretive about where they go. There has been fights about what people consider "their territory" in the woods. Best to go hiking and find your own spot.

I would say your best bet is to do some research on the internet and go for it. Really there are not many poisonous mushrooms and if you stick to chantrelles and morels you will be fine. Just know what the main look alikes are that you want to avoid. Should be on for morels, the false morel, and one for chantrelles, don't remember name.

Also make sure you look at the right time of year. Morels like pine trees, downed trees, and areas that were burned the year before.

Really, its not *that* dangerous. Do your research and you'll be fine.

This is asking where is the best place to go to pan for gold. People that gather those types of mushrooms are VERY secretive about where they go. There has been fights about what people consider "their territory" in the woods. Best to go hiking and find your own spot.

This ^^^^^

Anyone who has a nice honey hole for mushrooms is not going to share it with you. You'll be better off just going for a stroll in the woods and looking yourself. If you're worried about what you may find, have someone else look at them before you eat them and if you find a honey hole........Keep it under your hat!

I live in CA but am an avid mushroom hunter. What these folks say about gold is true. That said, I'd start here: http://www.epennmushroomers.org/

Join, go on a few group forays, learn your mushrooms and their habitats, then strike out on your own. Usually when the mushrooms are happening, these clubs go out to a known spot to collect.

Latest posts

Back