My Year in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
July 8, 2012 - Joe Bruno Stadium (Go Valleycats!) - Brown Ale, Brown's Brewing

image-1048677905.jpg

July 14, 2012 - The Blue Mingo on Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, Old Slugger, Cooperstown Brewing

It was a beautiful saturday here in the Capital Region, so we threw the kids in the sedan and drove over to Cooperstown to take them to the Farmer's Museum.

The Cooperstown Farmer's Museum is a wonderful collection of actual buildings and dwellings from the 1700's and 1800's, moved from various parts of the state and reassembled to pay homage to New York's rich agricultural history. The village is populated by volunteers in period dress, working as blacksmiths and farmers and apothecary - think of Colonial Williamsburg, only with farmers.

It's a great living museum, and we make it a point to head over once in the early summer (to see the baby animals) and once in the fall (for harvestfest).

Hop farming was big business in NYS in the 1800's, and the museum has a working hop farm along with an actual hop drying and processing house (from the 1840's). They also have the actual equipment that was used to harvest, dry and press hops into bales to be sent out to breweries. Very cool stuff.

My only complaint about the museum is that they relocated a beautiful old tavern from Windham, but all they serve is Ginger Beer. Very disappointing. Fortunately with Ommegang and Cooperstown Brewing just down the road, it was a short ride to find some wonderful micro.

On a related note: I may take lessons, just so I can learn to play the guitar, just so I can become a musician, just so I can get signed to a record label, just so I can title my first album "Hop Press and Screw".

image-3166286335.jpg

image-2803960030.jpg

image-1485642879.jpg

image-294556742.jpg

Just want to say thanks and give a little encouragement. I set out this year trying to at least catalog all the beers I tried (≥4 oz). I really lost my enthusiasm after 250. Cheers to you and a renewed sense of duty in my own beer drinking!:mug:

And where will we be going this month?

Not as far flung this time. We're heading to Long Lake in the central adirondack mountains (http://mylonglake.com/).

Great little old-school adirondack town. Far enough into the park that it's avoided the over commercialization found in other towns like Lake Placid, Lake George and Old Forge.

The lake is beautiful (made a brown ale using Long Lake water last year). It's right in the center of some great hiking. There's a 100 year hotel in town (http://www.adirondackhotel.com/) that has a great bar and BBQ lake side Wednesday and Saturday nights. And there's a funky old general store (Hoss's) to keep the kids in books, hard candy and jackknives.

Fun stuff - can't wait.

sfrisby said:
So let me get this straight. You START with Genessee and END with Hunahpu? That's quite a range for one day. Hope you enjoyed that one!

Since I had all day, I could cover a lot of ground. Gotta love vacation days.

Back