My Year in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdonnelly68

Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today is my 44th Birthday.

Evidenced by the fact that I'm on this site, beer is a big, beautiful part of my life. Being from a large Irish brood, the public and private consumption of fermentables borders on religion for me. Whether it be nature or nurture, I'm never more happy or content than when I'm tipping pints with family and friends.

I'll be the first to admit that beer plays an outsized role in my life. When I'm not drinking it or brewing it, I'm often talking about drinking or brewing it. When I'm not drinking, brewing or talking about it - I'm often thinking about drinking or brewing it. I love beer.

I travel a bit for work and the first thing I do when hitting a new town is ferret out it's signature bar. Every town has one, and there's no better place to get a feel for a community or it's people. Even in the dry towns I've visited in the south, the nonexistence of a signature bar holds sway. All I have to do is ask just about any resident of said dry town and they'll excitedly divulge their system for getting around the ban on booze ("Six miles out of town, just past the Piggly Wiggly there's a water tower. Turn right there and head to Bob Marcus's party barn just before the old Dairy Queen. They serve beer there but it's a private club so you have to be a member. That's no problem though, you pay $5.00 for a membership and it includes your first beer. Tell them Dwayne sent you..."). It's never a lonely quest.

Wherever I am, whatever I'm doing I always get excited when I see neon off in the distance (and I always die a little inside when it turns out to be a nail salon). There's nothing I like better than the first beer on a Friday after a long week at work. I sometime's think that the only reason I hike is because it makes the first beer off the trail somehow taste better.

I understand that this kind of obsession with beer could come across to some as unhealthy. A reasonable position but one I can't quite cotton to. I understand people who drink and I understand people who can't drink (it's not good for everyone) but I just can't relate to people who DON'T drink. I come from a family that travels everywhere with a cooler (including hospital visits). I come from a culture where it's considered rude not to offer any visitor to your house a drink (even if it's 10am). I come from a clan that judges you harshly if you turn up at a gathering with a twelve pack - "Look at Mr. Selfish, bringing just enough for himself and no more..."

Part of my love of beer is a healthy respect for it. I have many a friend (and many more former friends) who have enjoyed their booze too much too soon. I am very mindful of my relationship with alcohol. For me alcohol is like fire, very useful and very dangerous. Just like fire, I give booze the respect and care it deserves. I take great care not to get burned. To pile on the analogies, drinking is like sky diving: when you do it right there's nothing better, but if you do it wrong... So always pack your own parachute.

I've been blabbering away to set the stage for my true intent for this post. I wanted to kick off this project by ensuring those who care that I do not confuse celebration with carelessness. Beer informs us all, it's up to each of us to determine what it says. All in fun, no harm done.

In this, my 45th year, I thought it would be fun and informative to chronicle my relationship with beer. I'm looking to aggregate my activities so that I can look back at points and gain a larger perspective. I'm also looking to create a timeline I can look back on with fondness and affection. So many happy moments that are as fleeting as the buzz - all but gone by the next day. I think it'll be nice to be able to review and recall them in perpetuity.

Part of the challenge was the framework for the journaling. Noting each beer would be unnecessarily burdensome and border on evidentiary. I'm looking for the flavor not the fire, so I've decided to post every 'first' beer during the year. First at any location, pub, restaurant, home, etc. My thinking is that the first will best act as markers for my journey through my 45th year. In each post, I'll try to include some detail about there where's, why's and what's happenings at that moment. Again, all the better to provide the memory and flavor of a year in the beer.

So, without further ado, let the wild rumpus start!

Mike

January 27, 2012 - Home - Stone Ruination IPA

Since it's my birthday, I decided to take the day off to brew. At this time of this picture, I have a wort at full boil, a fireplace roaring and nothing to look forward to but more of the same.

The monkey on the left is a birthday card from my nine year old daughter Maeve. She sought it out specifically because she remembered that I like monkey cards.

Note to self: when you are dead and gone, your daughter will not remember that you always paid your mortgage on time or that you always voted Democrat - she will remember that you liked monkey cards.

Works for me.

image-530859249.jpg

Welcome and thanks for the informative introduction!

I think if you do a bit of looking, you might find places that host personal blogs for free or nearly free. This might be a good system for neatly and chronologically sharing your experiences fro the Internet to see.

A friend of mine installed blogging software on his server and it looks as though it was easy enough to manage and manipulate, though he didn't have much to talk about. The whole reason was to install and check it out.

I'm sure the people who host these professionally have even more comprehensive and easy to use versions.

So do you brew your own, or do you simply enjoy the drinking of??

I think if you do a bit of looking, you might find places that host personal blogs for free or nearly free. This might be a good system for neatly and chronologically sharing your experiences fro the Internet to see.

A friend of mine installed blogging software on his server and it looks as though it was easy enough to manage and manipulate, though he didn't have much to talk about. The whole reason was to install and check it out.

I'm sure the people who host these professionally have even more comprehensive and easy to use versions.

He said he brews. ;)

While this might be better suited for a place like blogger, I think it's a pretty cool idea.

Thanks for the suggestion. Blogging would be another way to achieve my end.

I was thinking that this venue would be both easier (I'm on here all the time anyway) and more appropriate, given the membership.

I've only recently started brewing. I'm in the middle of my 14th batch now - a New Belgium Snow Day clone mini-mash.

I really enjoy the hobby, it combines my love of beer with my innate Elvis-itis (obsessing over one thing until it's rung out). I've had a great time brewing, reading and accumulating equipment.

I also enjoy the community around home brewing. Locally and online there's a ton of interest and it's a lot of fun.

How about you, brew much?

No worries, but hanging out on here requires registration, whereas hosting a blog would allow people interested in beer, but not necessarily brewing, to view your chronicles. And, even if people brew, some of them won't register for this site simply because they don't like to register anywhere. Yeah, I know, they don't know what they are missing.

Plus the layout might be a bit better looking for a blog.

I've been brewing on and off since like 1991, but more off back then and more on the past 5 years.

No worries, but hanging out on here requires registration, whereas hosting a blog would allow people interested in beer, but not necessarily brewing, to view your chronicles. And, even if people brew, some of them won't register for this site simply because they don't like to register anywhere. Yeah, I know, they don't know what they are missing.

Plus the layout might be a bit better looking for a blog.

I've been brewing on and off since like 1991, but more off back then and more on the past 5 years.

To be honest, I like the limited access. No reason in my mind to court the uninterested.

Plus I'm doing it more for my record than anything else.

Happy birthday!!

Man, what a cool read. I love your passion - it's just SEETHING from you!

Based on what I've read so far, I would definitely subscribe to a Wordpress blog if you were to start one!

Cheers!

January 27, 2012. Wolff's Biergarten. Franziskaner Dunkle.

The Boot. 2 liters of "It's your birthday!"

It seems like a good idea. For just your driver's license and a $40 cash deposit, you get 11lbs of beer for free. All because you managed to survive your birth and each year subsequent.

The Boot is very much like life. The first third is filled with excitement and the promise of things to come. The second third is full of apprehension and constant fear that you've gotten in over your head. And for the final third, with The Boot just as with life, you're just hoping to get through it without drooling down your chin.

Good times.

image-1987185457.jpg

Jesus! Are they assuming that you'll be too ripped to claim your $40 back? 11#, that's close to 11 pints right?

January 29, 2012 - The Recovery Room - Dogfish Head 60

Happy Hour - Post Work Strategy Meeting

Work meetings are funny. No matter how well you know each other or how long you've worked together, everyone gets all squirrelly when put in a formal meeting. The meeting concept seems to put folks off just enough so that they are incapable of speaking openly, honestly and like themselves.

But, throw these same folks a pint of beer and almost immediately they are saying EXACTLY what they think about WHATEVER comes into their heads.

No meeting should start until everyone is at least two pints in...

image-1312152299.jpg

Completely understand your passion/borderline obsession. I have been accused of an unhealthy level of obsession myself. However, I find no fault in finding some thing that you can eat(drink), sleep(dream), and breath(discuss) everyday. I am interested in where your "Year in Beer" will take you. Thanks for taking the time to share your endeavor with us.

Cheers :mug:

February 4, 2012 - BEFF's - Southern Tier Matt & Phin's Extraordinary Ale

Hello, my name Michael and I'm an afternoon drinker.

I wasn't always an afternoon drinker. When I was shorter of tooth I would start out late to stay out late. Many nights I wouldn't bend my first elbow until well after the evening news. My friends and I wouldn't even kick off our night until most folks had tucked in. What we started many nights, we ended many mornings. We heard every 'Last Call' and each time we felt robbed. Where had the time gone? We're not done yet...

The last time we had a Democratic president, when I walked into an empty bar I would more likely than not turn around and walk out. I used to look for crowds. I used to seek out loud music. I would drink panther piss (read: Rolling Rock) so long as I could drink it high atop of steaming, teaming pile of youths. I was a youths. It was good.

Not anymore. Now when I go out to a pub, it's more likely with a concern that they won't be open yet, not about to call for last. Now when I walk into an empty bar, I think 'great, no waiting'. I still like music in a bar, but not too loud please. I like to be able to hear the conversation I'm having. While I used to walk into a joint intently scanning faces for friends, enemies or potential conquests, I now save nearly all of my attention for the line of taps. Any favorites on? Anything new I haven't tried? My dream hookup is no longer a pretty young thing - now it's an Pliny Elder thing.

Don't take my reminiscing for complaint. I like my afternoon drinking. It's nice to get it out of the way early, leaves the rest of the day for more adult pursuits - like doctors appointments and school plays.

image-2665766255.jpg

OK two things:

1. Just realized you live in the capital region here in New York; I just moved to Albany a month ago. Good to see other beer lovers in the area.

2. Where did you get the Pliny the Elder? I have never had one, been looking for several years now (i have been moving a lot lately).

3. I am enjoying this chronical-ing of your year long beer journey, keep it up!

OK two things:

1. Just realized you live in the capital region here in New York; I just moved to Albany a month ago. Good to see other beer lovers in the area.

2. Where did you get the Pliny the Elder? I have never had one, been looking for several years now (i have been moving a lot lately).

3. I am enjoying this chronical-ing of your year long beer journey, keep it up!

A. The 'OK two things' bit was hilarious

B. Welcome to the Capital District. I've lived here 20 years and love it - great people, good times. Lots of opportunities here to love beer. If you haven't done it yet, get yourself to Mahar's on Madison Ave in Albany. Seriously, go now - I'll wait.

3. My brother owns a bar out in Fairport (http://www.donnellysph.com) and he was able to score some Pliny bombers around Christmas (he was nice enough to share). Keep looking for a Pliny - it is a truly superlative beer. Maybe the best beer I've ever had (and I've had lots).

IV. Thanks for following along - should be a great year in beer.

Mike

February 10, 2012 - McGeary's - Utica Club Draft

Beer as a time machine.

I am a self-confessed (is that redundant?) beer snob. I love great beer. I would sooner shove my own mits up my arse and clap than let any Anheuser-Busch product touch my lips. I have travelled to Ireland more than once just for the Guinness (it is better there - no lie). I look down my nose at the mass produced, under flavored, over advertised swill that corporate brew houses push on the unenlightened. I am a complete and total unabashed beer elitist and I'm proud of it.

That being said, whenever I walk into a bar and see UC, PBR or Genny on tap - I salivate like Pavlov's dog. I have paid airfare just to drink Pliny, yet I'd still step over a burning nun for a frosty cold pint of FX Matt's finest. Dichotomy? Yes. Cognitive dissonance? Maybe. But I have my reasons, and here they are:

When I go after a big, beautiful high OG craft brew - it's all about the taste. I go for complex feature and flavor. The more going on the better. I'm into craft beer for the experience.

When I see a UC, PBR or Genny - it's all about the memories. The memories of my grandfather driving from his house in Utica (always in a Cadillac) to our house in Auburn every holiday, always with a case or two of Uncle Charlie, grenade bottles in tow. I can still see those squat beauties sitting on the end table in my parents living room, appearing for all intents and purposes to be kid-sized, Playschool brews. My grandfather would always let us have a sip or two and it kicked off my so-far life-long love of beer (and Cadillacs for that matter).

I have similar memories of the fridge in our garage full of Pabst and Genesee cans with contingency cases sitting next to it - at the ready.

I have memories of the family parties, with steel tubs full of ice, UC, PBR and Genny. Steel tubs at our level, like kiddie pools full of soon enough. We couldn't wait until we were old enough to thrust a fist in, pull off a tab and take a big swig of "I'm a man now". In fact, we didn't wait - sneaking a can now and then to split between six to eight cousined up co-conspirators. I can't tell you if we thought the beer was good because good was beside the point. We were more interested in washing down the bitter taste of suburban, catholic schooled white bread and a luke warm PBR was just the trick.

I still prefer my big, bad craft beers. But every once in a while it's nice to taste 1977 again and remember a time before micro breweries, before the Yankees traded Craig Nettles, before girlfriends, before babies, before bosses, before anything really mattered...

But alas, time travel is not all beer balls and lawn darts. You have to be careful how long you stay in the back then. My simple rule when it comes to time travel of the UC, PBR, Genny variety is this: One's nostalgic, two's a treat, three's a laxative.

image-4086903225.jpg

Great writing sir, full steam ahead!

I'm about ready to send you some beers in the hopes that you will post a little more often :)

Back