Computer Geek Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vermicous said:
Seriously, what are you using this for? I hope you are a gamer, this rig would be wasted on anything else.

In my case, yes I am a gamer by night, but during the day I have 4 VMWare servers running my entire application's testbed on it...

yeah I'm a gamer, but cant game on the system I currently have anymore, it's just geting to old. As for sound I'll stick with what ever is onboard and speakers in the monitor . . . I'm not big on sound

case wise I dont want anything flashy my main concern is heat. I dont have central AC and my basement gets warm in the summer. The sole reason I am looking at that case is . . .
Cooling System
80mm Fans 1 x 80mm top fan
120mm Fans 4 x 120mm side fan
2 x 120mm rear fan
1 x 120mm front fan
Side Air duct No

case.jpg

I would go with Serial ATA drives. As these systems get faster and faster, the bottleneck is the hard drive and its data bus. You can build a RAID system very easy too.

That will be one nice and fast system. I am sort of partial to ASUS motherboards. I wouldn't run VISTA either, WIN XP Pro works well on my machines.

Let's go back a moment to the very first thing you said:
Pumbaa said:
I finally sold my motorcycle

WTF?! Bless him father for he knows not the error of his ways.

I think you need to remember something about motorcycles:

7589-chopperrearphoto.jpg

That's a different definition of hard drive...

Yeah I got XP when it first came out and it gave me nothing but headaches, and I'm kinda worried about that with Vista as well. There is a guy down at the FD HQ that is a microsoft system engineer so I'm gonna talk it over with him.

Let's go back a moment to the very first thing you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
I finally sold my motorcycle

WTF?! Bless him father for he knows not the error of his ways.

I think you need to remember something about motorcycles:

Trust me I wasnt really wild about the idea either and I told myself after my brother's accident I wasnt going to sell it, BUT . . . I got out on it twice last year and it just brought back too many bad memories, and I kept ending up at the cemetary. I'll sell it and put it into a new computer, and hand the wife a Grand to go play with. Maybe in a few years I can get a new one, we'll see

My wife worked for a long-haul trucking insurance company as an adjuster for a while. Every accident she went out on was a motorcyclist/tractor-trailer accident. She saw many tragic things and it eventually drove her to find a new job. I owned a motorcycle back in college, but after all that, I'll never own one again. It is great to ride, but the risk is too great.
Enjoy your hot-rod PC, your wife will be thankful far beyond the spending money...
Victory.gif

Hey pumbaa, save some money and go with the 8800 GT it was on sale for 279 today on newegg. I think that you will not notice the diff between the two cards for about 3 years at which point certain games may require that huge D!CK video card.

If you dont mind spending the extra 200 some bucks then by all means, swing that large meat!

Have you considered a Mac? The new Mac Pro towers are fast and powerful... and with the new Intel processors you can run XP/Vista, RedHat or some other flavor of Linux, and OS X all on the same box.

The Macs seem pricey, but when you consider the versatility and quality.... they're a bargain IMHO

Just my $.02

If you are not going to game heavily or do video editing your wasting a lot of money. The mobo is probably way overboard. Personally I would never spend $200 on a mobo unless I was messing with servers. Only 2 PCI slots...reviews say it is very picky on memory.
I would check with sites like techreport.com or cnet to get reviews on the mobo's and other hardware, they have saved me money.

knarfks said:
If you are not going to game heavily or do video editing your wasting a lot of money.

50+ hours per week in a top end raiding guild in Everquest for 5 years and the #3 rogue on the server for the last 2 of those years . . . in the top 1% of rogues in all of EQ at the time I quit playing EQ . . . I'm kinda into gaming

BTW Vanguard: Saga of Heros is my next game

My goal is to have something that will allow me to game hard for a couple years without running into hardware issues so I dont really plan on adding anything to it and by that time if I change anything it will be video cards, and I run with what ever sound is onboard the mobo, so I'm not really worried about the PCI slots, but thnx :D

Pumbaa, you put that comp together yet? I had Vanguard, but got rid of the scuscription due to 5 FPS on my current pc. the new one i am getting in about 2 weeks should handle about 55FPS with Vanguard. let me know when you start playing it.

I'm getting the cash for the bike tonight so I'm HOPING to get it in the bank today or tomarrow then I'll be ordering the stuff ASAP after that.

On a side note I almost feel sorry for the guy buying my bike. He's picking it up today and it's 26degrees (high of 35) and has a decent length ride to get it to his place

Back