re-active fermentation, why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togodoug

Reaction score
I brewed a batch and had it bubbling away. Then it slowed down until at about day 8 it was stopped. This seemed normal and fine. Then at about day 17 it started to bubble, like one burp every 5 to 10 seconds. Now at day 18 its still burping.
I’d had it at 62 to 66 degrees. I noticed it crept up to 70 degrees at the re-birth. I think the temp increase is due to my inattentiveness, not heat generation, but I ‘m not sure.
Is this temperature related or just coincidental, it the beer ruined, what to do?

You beer is fine...airlock bubbling doesn't necessarily means you have fermentation happening again...all it means is that your airlock is bubbling...it's NOT the same thing.

You had a temp change, so either indeed the yeast woke up a bit OR the temp shift is causing co2 to come out of the trub....or the cat nudged it at some point and co2 is coming out of the trub...

You can't just assume you have fermentation, nor should you assume something is wrong...A hydrometer is the only way to know what is really happenning....

Back