Fermentation bucket thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWest

Reaction score
What's the best way to monitor the temperature in a fermentation bucket without opening the top? Is it possible?

Thanks for the help!

Buy a sticky thermometer, like the kind used for aquariums, and stick it on the outside of the bucket (sideways) at about the 4.5 gallon mark.

So the thermometer on the outside of the bucket will give an accurate reading?

So something like this should work if I just stick it on the outside of the bucket?

Yup. So will this (and there is no shipping). I have these and they work just fine. I don't do Lagers, so any temp. below 64 (the bottom of the scale on this one) is too cold.

Thanks...I appreciate the help. I think I'm about to order a wort chiller from Northern anyway, so shipping on the thermometer wouldn't be too big of a deal.

I was just surprised that it would give accurate readings from the outside of the bucket.

Thanks...I appreciate the help. I think I'm about to order a wort chiller from Northern anyway, so shipping on the thermometer wouldn't be too big of a deal.

I was just surprised that it would give accurate readings from the outside of the bucket.

As long as you dont have any large temperature differentials on the outside it should be relatively accurate.

For instance I have recently been putting my fermenters near my gas fireplace downstairs in the bar to keep temps at or around 66-68. If I face the temp strip towards the fireplace, I get a false high reading.

I would imagine this would work the same if you were chilling.

Why not put a sanitized thermometer with a long probe through the bung and monitor the internal temp? Similar to the thermometers used when frying things in a turkey fryer

Why not put a sanitized thermometer with a long probe through the bung and monitor the internal temp? Similar to the thermometers used when frying things in a turkey fryer

A brewer on another beer forum that I frequent did just that. His analysis was that there was half a degree difference between the middle of the wort and the outside of the bucket. Hardly enough to measure let alone worry about.

I have a non contact infrared thermometer that works pretty well. Just point and shoot. I found that the temperature of the fermenter would reach about 65 at the peak of the ferment when the fermenter was sitting in a 62 degree room. I had tried the stick on fermometer but I had trouble reading it when the bucket was sitting on the floor in less than ideal lighting.

Back