Brutus 10 regulator help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
I'm building a brutus type structure (basically a brutus 10 but no weld), and have some questions regarding my burners and a regulator. I have the 10 tip jet burners from topfoodservice.com. Someone on here said they were low pressure, but the guy when i ordered said they were high pressure. There may have been a language barrier issue though. Does anyone know how to tell if they are high or low pressure?

As far as regulators, I ordered the one Lonnie specs from morebeer, but they are (surprise) out of stock. I plan to cancel this order and find something else. Can anyone recommend me a regulator that will work with the brutus 10? I already have the asco valves, so something that will work with the ones Lonnie specd. I read somewhere one here, although i can't find where anymore, that someone had used the high pressure jet burners with a low pressure regulator successfully.

Thanks

I used a Marshall 2 stage regulator Here

I bought the tank adapter and had a local fluid power shop make me a 3/8" propane hose and put it together myself. You can buy low pressure regulator assemblies cheaper, but the 2 stages are supposed to be more efficient. And you want to make sure you get a 3/8" hose, some of the assembled ones only have 1/4".

Low pressure/high pressure will depend on the burner orifices, but I'm not that familiar with those. I used banjo's.

Hoping to help clear up my confusion on this topic, specifically when you say "you want to make sure you get a 3/8" hose, some of the assembled ones have 1/4". A Marshall 2 stage regulator has a 1/4 " inlet so the inlet hose from the propane to the regulator will be 1/4" and the outlet will be 3/8" hose running to either a gas line connected to burners or direct to the burners correct?

Would the Marshall 250 Automatic Changeover Regulator be a good fit, that way when one tank runs out it would auto switch to the second tank?

Yes, use 3/8" from the regulator to the burners. Most of the regulators you buy are for high pressure and the smaller lines work. I couldn't get much output from my burners until I upgraded the line from 1/4" to 3/8". Then they lit up light rockets. I use 1/2" black pipe to my honeywell valves and either 1/2 or 3/8 flex gas lines to the burner....i forget.

Back