Gravity Readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As a relative noobie, I take my first gravity reading after racking the wort into primary, but before adding the yeast. I then wait till the bubbling in the airlock subsides (3-4 days) and take another reading. Once the reading remains the same for 2-3 days, I rack into secondary and never take another reading. Should I take another reading when I bottle? Or when I rack to secondary is it pretty much done? Also, what would happen if I pitched another packet of yeast (11.5g) at secondary?

Thanks

J

Your process sounds good, however most of us forgo a secondary now and just leave our beer on the yeast for 3-4 weeks.

This is what I do, I take my OG as you do, then leave my beer for 3 weeks, then I check my SG again and make a note, then check again in another 2 days. If it's the same then I bottle/keg.

You only need to take a gravity reading at pitching and at bottling. Rack to your secondary when the krausen has dropped and bubbling has died off. Leave in the secondary for 1-3 weeks, then bottle. You could take consecutive daily readings at this point if you wanted to make sure it was done. Pitching more yeast would probably do nothing, as the amount you pitch would be nothing compared to the amount already in the beer.

Wyzazz...you don't rack to secondary at all? I've always been told that you need to get the beer out of primary as soon as possible to get it off of the sediment. Then it can stay in secondary for a while without any reprocussions. Also, if you don't rack to secondary, how do you dry hop?

pkeeler...since I primary in a bucket, I can't really see the krausen so I go by the blow off and the gravity readings to see if primary is complete. Then most of my beers I dry hop, so that is done at secondary. Cool on the additional pitching though. That was just something I always wondered about.

Thanks guys!

You don't have to get your beer out of the primary, it's just kind of common practice to separate the beer from as much sediment as possible. I wrack to the secondary and don't think I'll ever just leave my beer in a primary, but it honestly wouldn't hurt your beer if you leave it there.

Wyzazz...you don't rack to secondary at all? I've always been told that you need to get the beer out of primary as soon as possible to get it off of the sediment. Then it can stay in secondary for a while without any reprocussions. Also, if you don't rack to secondary, how do you dry hop?

Nope, no secondary unless I'm oaking or racking on to fruit or something like that. Even then, I still leave my beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks, it gives the yeast time to clean up any off flavors and overall seems to make better beer for me. I dry-hop in my primary after my active fermentation is finished, I usually use pellets for dry hopping inside of a nylon mesh bag with a couple of shot glasses in there for weight.

LOL - yeah, its a great site.

As you can tell by reading the responses there is more than one way to skin a cat. You could take a gravity reading everyday if you wanted to but it is not necessary unless you're simply that curious. Of course that increases chance of infection. However, this is not what your question was about either.

I agree that your process looks good. I'm trying the primary only method and both of my ales will be in a primary for about 2.5 weeks before I will be able to bottle, assuming they'll be ready. Some people have reported leaving their beer in a plastic primary for a month will no ill effects. Others absolutely INSIST on racking it into a secondary after a week in a primary. Fact is, both can an do work just fine, its all up to what you want from your beer.

My thoughts on taking gravity reading - if its an ale and the gravity reading has remained the same for 2 - 3 days and its where you expect your FG to be then you're ready to bottle in my opinion. Letting it set will help clarify it and give the yeast some more time to clean up what they left behind. Racking it into a secondary and letting it sit awhile longer will help in the clarification process somewhat but if its reached its FG letting it set on the yeast for a bit longer or bottling it would be the route I'd go personally. Lagers are another story and I don't have any experience there. However, just by nature of lagering secondaries are nearly always used from what I understand.

Wow. I have never heard of anyone leaving it that long, but I am a newbie and could fill volumes with things I don't know! I used to leave in primary for a 7-10 days then bottle. But since I started dry hopping and adding oak, etc...I always rack to secondary. I also found the beer is much clearer after racking to secondary. I boil a hop sock, to steralize it, then add my dry hop pellets or oak, whatever, then drop it in for secondary. I recently used an ounce of whole leaf hops with no hop sock. Very difficult to work around. I need to find another way to utilize whole leaves. They suck up a lot of beer and clog the syphon. I have heard panty hose works well. Go figure.

Chuck...I have heard people say that the beer needs to be out of plastic as soon as possible too, but I am using a plastic Better Bottle for secondary. I have done my last 4 batches like this and have not had one off or bad flavor. As a matter of fact the last 4 I brewed have been the best I have ever brewed, so I must be doing something right, or getting really lucky! ha Two more in primary now that I hope to rack to secondary this weekend.

If you're using a process that works for YOU then don't let anyone tell you not to do it. Mr. Swillery is right, there are a thousand ways to make good beer. I leave my beer in glass/plastic/stainless primaries for 3-4 weeks routinely and don't have any issues. To clear I cold crash and add gelatin if it looks particularly cloudy, but usually time and cold temps make my beer crystal clear.

I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I do keep hearing the term "cold crash" and am not sure what it is, but I'll save that for another thread at a later time! Thanks for all of the help and info.

pkeeler...since I primary in a bucket, I can't really see the krausen so I go by the blow off and the gravity readings to see if primary is complete. Then most of my beers I dry hop, so that is done at secondary. Cool on the additional pitching though. That was just something I always wondered about.
Thanks guys!

Nothing wrong with taking readings. Just more work and less beer ;) I just go by time and bubble rate. Even if you are early, it will continue to ferment in the secondary fermenter. You just don't want to be extra early. But when the bubbling is down to 1-2 per minute, it is certainly time. The krausen usually drops back long before bubble rates drop off the proverbial cliff.

Back