Need a lager recipe for czech budj yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10lbs bopils or german pils malt.
Saaz to ~40ibus.

one of the simplest beers ever.

Yup, that's pretty much it. If you are going for a Bohemian style, you might mash higher, around 152. For a dryer German style pilsner, go down to 149 or so. You might throw in some carapils, too, if you do a Bohemian, maybe .75 lbs.

One other thing. With such a simple malt bill and low IBU this is one of the few beers where water quality will have a huge impact. Unless you have really really soft water do a 50/50 blend (or more if your water is hard) with distilled or reverse osmosis water. Alternatively, if you are using extract rather than all grain you can brew with all distilled/RO water and rely on the water from the maltster for all of your nutrients/salts, there should be plenty for a bohemian pils.

I've never made a pilsner- do you do a step mash or just keep it simple?

IMO, you really need to do a decoction if you want to get a good BoPils. I prefer the Hochkurz Double Decoction I believe traditionally it's a triple decoction with an acid protein and sacc rest, but the slightly undermodified weyermann bopils malt still has no problems completely converting itself. If you use a regular pils, the diastic power is through the roof. (and I usually use a german pils because it's much easier to find.)

One other thing. With such a simple malt bill and low IBU this is one of the few beers where water quality will have a huge impact. Unless you have really really soft water do a 50/50 blend (or more if your water is hard) with distilled or reverse osmosis water. Alternatively, if you are using extract rather than all grain you can brew with all distilled/RO water and rely on the water from the maltster for all of your nutrients/salts, there should be plenty for a bohemian pils.

This is one beer that I think is all but impossible to do with extract. You would have to get pils extract and you're still going to be missing the melanoidins, and most likely be off in color.

Back