still krauesen after 10 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troybinso

Reaction score
This is by far the biggest beer I have made so far - 1.083 OG - but the three I have previously made have always settled down after about 4 days. It has been 10 days on this one. I was thinking of transfering to secondary soon, but I thought the foam should mostly be gone before doing that. Can I transfer now, or should I wait? Any advice?

Don't rack until they've flocculated and settled. The fact that you still have krausen means that they're still workin'---don't screw with em now. I brewed an immense barleywine 10 days ago---SG of 1.123, based on ProMash's calcs...BWAH HA HA! It's in a plastic bucket, so I'm not sure if there's still a bunch of krausen, but I'm betting there is, considering that I still get a few bubbles every minute. I'm leaving it in primary for another week or two, then pitching again--this time w/ champagne or strong ale yeast--and racking when it's done. Of course, this is a barleywine, but, still, with an OG of 1.083, just give it time. For instance, I also brewed a BIG porter last weekend. SG of 1.062, and it took every bit of 7.5 days to finally fall out.

Patience, grasshopper.

PS: what's your airlock activity looking like?

Ok, ok. I will be patient.

Airlock gets a bubble once every 5 seconds or so, so I guess the yeast is still doing its thing. It has been a crazy fermentation. I had a blowoff tube in there for like three days, and it seemed to settle down a bit so I put in the airlock. Later that evening, I found the airlock clogged up with a bunch of krauesen cr*p, so I washed off the stopper and sanitized it, then put on a clean airlock with star san in it. It has been going great guns ever since.

I racked my O'fest after 12 days in primary. It still had krausen and I now suspect it took longer due to the colder ferment temp of 62. I was getting worried about the beer being on the trub to long.

Another krausen came up on the secondary and nearly had a blow-off.

If I use this recipe and method again I'll definitely be waiting until the krausen completely falls in the primary.

Back